Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Itchy Dog

Sansastark45 · 16/02/2020 18:26

Our dog seems to have super sensitive skin - when you touch her in certain places her skin shivers - we have her on grain free food but the vet suggested giving her an antihistamine- cetirizine is the one I've got - how much do I give her ?? She weighs a stone xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rhapsodyinpurple · 16/02/2020 18:27

When our dog needed antihistamine we were told to give her Piriton and not any others. The dose was tailored to her weight.

Please
or

Sansastark45 · 16/02/2020 18:39

Our vet originally said benadryl but we found that it made her quite drowsy so they said to put her on cetirizine or laboratide - I know that 1 tablet is for 1 human - I just dont want to be over dosing her or not giving her enough and not help her xx its driving her insane xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dreamersandwishers · 18/02/2020 20:35

My vet told me they can’t metabolise cetirizine so gave me piriton.
My 30kg lab gets one piriton per day if needed. A stone is about 6 kg so I would think about 1/4.
But for a lower risk solution, may I suggest Lintbells Yumega, which seems to keep my dogs skin happy.

Please
or

Sansastark45 · 19/02/2020 13:08

Oh thats interesting as a lady i was talking to in the vet waiting room mentioned to me about Yumega and i have tried to find it since but i had been spelling it wrong! I will look for that now :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Girlintheframe · 20/02/2020 06:37

We use hypoallergenic food, piriton and Yumega itchy dog daily. All has helped with his itchy skin

Please
or

Girlintheframe · 20/02/2020 06:38

Amazon sell it. We get ours on repeat every few months

Please
or

Sansastark45 · 20/02/2020 07:30

I ordered some yesterday :) it's coming today ! Xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

BlackCatJourney · 26/06/2020 14:33

@Sansastark45 could I ask if the yumega helped? Just thinking of trying it for an itchy Lab.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.