Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Book recommendations for new owner

dangermouseisace · 07/02/2019 12:55

Hello. We’re welcoming a labradoodle puppy into our family next month. My usual tactic with anything new is to get as much info as I can, usually through reading. So I was wondering if there are any recommended informative books. I’ve already found out about training classes etc so that’s all in the pipeline...just feels like a good opportunity to get some reading in now before I’m too busy dealing with a puppy! TIA

OP's posts:
Please
or

Myranium · 07/02/2019 13:48

Join the FB group Dog Training Advice and Support, it's run by professionals (who only advocate the use of up to date, force free training methods) and has a wealth of excellent information in the 'Files' section. The collection of articles and guides called Congratulations on Your New Puppy is a must read for new puppy owners. They also have a Recommended Reading List if you fancy some actual books.

Not on that list (it's been a while since they updated it) are Beverley Courtney's Brilliant Family Dog series which are really great books. She's also got a new puppy book (New Puppy!: From New Puppy to Brilliant Family Dog) although I've not read that one yet.

It's not puppy specific but Suzanne Clothier's 'Bones Would Rain from the Sky' is a fabulous book and really well worth reading for anyone with a dog of any age.

If you're interested in videos I'd highly recommend Kikopup on YouTube. She's brilliant and has loads of great stuff on her channel, including a .

Please
or

dangermouseisace · 07/02/2019 19:52

Ooh thank you so much myranium that’s lots to be getting on with! Brilliant, thanks Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

BrokenWing · 08/02/2019 14:39

I thought Total Recall was quite good for training recall, until ddog ate it Grin and I could only read the bottom half of each page.

Enjoy your puppy and the challenges it will bring!

Please
or

HerondaleDucks · 08/02/2019 14:44

Zak george. He has a whole you tube channel too with loads of useful videos

Please
or

dangermouseisace · 08/02/2019 18:45

Thanks brokenwing and herondaleducks I’ll look into those too.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.