Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Dog broken skin, Do I need to see a doctor?

Bexta147 · 08/10/2018 08:19

He hasn’t bit me, I was walking to the kitchen and got something stuck on my foot so kicked my foot up behind me, the dog was stood right behind me and I’ve kicked him I think in the mouth, I have one small wound. As far as I can see it has just taken the skin off and not actually punctured the skin. It’s bleedinh quite a bit but that’s because of the place it’s at rather than the injury itself and I bleed easily anyways. I am getting conflicting advice on line.
Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bunnybigears · 08/10/2018 08:25

If you have antiseptic wipes or something similar I would just treat at home but keep am eye out for any spreading redness around the area. But then im not a Doctor.

Please
or

NicoAndTheNiners · 08/10/2018 08:27

I used to have a dog which was always biting dh. He just used to use savlon and never had a problem.

Please
or

NicoAndTheNiners · 08/10/2018 08:28

But I think official advice is see a dr. Tetanus shot may be needed.

Please
or

PoshPenny · 08/10/2018 08:34

Keep an eye on it and the chances are you'll probably be fine. Savlon cream or similar sounds a good idea. You'll soon know if it's infected and then you ought to go to the doctor. My husband is a postman and he was really quite unwell from an infected dog bite. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Please
or

Emelene · 08/10/2018 08:41

When I had a very small bite from a dog I had to have a course of antibiotics. They have really nasty bacteria in their mouths so it's not worth the risk...

Please
or

Bexta147 · 08/10/2018 09:10

I’m Already on antibiotics anyways for a chest infection, I’ve cleaned it with some antiseptic and will keep an eye.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LittleBLUEsmurfHouse · 08/10/2018 19:55

I've only ever put savlon on things like that. If it was a full on deep bite I'd go to drs. Or If it looked like it was becoming infected or wasn't healing I'd probably get a nurse appointment at the drs.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.