Please or to access all these features

Teenagers

Parenting teenagers has its ups and downs. Get advice from Mumsnetters here.

School ski trip dilemma

5 replies

SP8 · 30/09/2026 08:28

Bit of background, my daughter is 14 and has talked about her school ski trip since Y7. She’s now in Y10, which is the year they go, and she has always said how desperately she wanted to go and how amazing she’d heard it was.

At the end of last academic year, we were given information about both a 3 day Disney trip and the ski trip. We had to pay a deposit by a certain date for whichever trip(s) we wanted our child to go on.

I asked my daughter what she wanted to do and she was absolutely adamant that she only wanted the ski trip. She didn’t want Disney (we’ve been as a family anyway) and was panicking that I might forget to pay the ski deposit because she wanted it done straight away. We discussed that it would probably be oversubscribed, that some of her friends might get on and others might not, and that there was a possibility she could get on and her friends couldn’t. She was very clear that she didn’t care because she wanted to go for the experience and would know other people going.

We also discussed the cost because it’s a total of £1,800. £200 non-refundable deposit and then £400 a month until January. She knew exactly what she was committing to and that this was not a small amount we had to pay and was still adamant she wanted to go.

Fast forward to now and her ‘best friend’s’ mum forgot to pay the deposit in time, so her best friend can’t go.

My daughter has completely changed her mind and is now saying she absolutely does not want to go. This has been going on for about a week. She’s also been incredibly rude and ungrateful about the whole thing, which obviously isn’t acceptable. She does have ADHD and she can process things differently and be very irrational with her thinking but I’m not using that as an excuse for her rude/ungrateful behaviour.

We’ve talked it through repeatedly and reminded her that she begged to go, that we discussed the possibility of friends not getting on, and that she was very clear she still wanted to go. She does know other people going, but at the moment she is being incredibly stubborn about it.

We’ve also spoken to the school, who have been really helpful. They’ve shown her the list of pupils going and talked to her about how amazing the trip is going to be.

The dilemma is that the next £400 payment is due tomorrow.

Do I pull her out because she’s now saying she doesn’t want to go, knowing that in a few weeks/months she could potentially be absolutely gutted that she’s missing out? Or do I keep encouraging her to go and give her some time to get over the fact that her best friend isn’t going?

Her dad and I are in a disagreement. He’s very much of the opinion that if she says she doesn’t want to go, that’s it. She then has to accept the money already lost and can’t change her mind later, particularly because it’s oversubscribed and there’s a waiting list. Once the decision is made, it’s tough.

Part of me completely agrees with him. But I also worry because she has done this before with DofE and some other things outside school, initially saying she absolutely doesn’t want to do something, being encouraged to go anyway, and then having an absolutely amazing time.

She’s sporty, very bubbly and outgoing, so I genuinely think she could have an incredible time once she’s there. I’m just worried that we’re making a decision based on a very immediate emotional reaction to her best friend not going, rather than what she actually wanted for the last three years.

What would you do?

Would you respect her decision and pull her out, or encourage her to go despite her current feelings?

I’m probably massively overthinking it, but the joys of teenagers!

OP posts:
AgathaA · 30/09/2026 08:35

Talk to school again. If there is a waiting list, I would expect your loss is mitigated if she does not go. All the school should have to do is pay an admin fee to change the booking to whichever child takes her place. At this stage that should easily be possible - it’s not a last minute change of heart.

It is ludicrous that the waitlisted child should benefit suddenly from a half-price ticket because your own dd changed her mind,

At most I expect your loss is mitigated to a sensible amount of administrative expense.

If the school kick up a fuss, point out your child has a disability (adhd) so perhaps it’s not fair to penalise you for the situation that has developed,

My dd ( who is supposed to be NT, although I have my doubts sometimes!) went on a school trip very nervously that NONE of her friends were going on. She had a fabulous time with strangers from the “other half” of the year who she’d never even had more than a PE class with before, and she is now best friends with the two of them she roomed with. It was a subject of real anxiety in the lead up to the trip and I totally get it - no one wants to be friendless on a trip. I think we were very lucky it turned out this way.

SP8 · 30/09/2026 08:50

@AgathaA At the moment we would just loose the deposit, if we pay the £400 tomorrow we are under the impression we will loose that too..
I absolutely understand feeling anxious about a trip that’s completely normal, she however does know people going, there are girls she has lessons with and speaks too that are going so she will not be alone, she has messaged these girls about the trip too. She’s also very good at making new friends from all different situations and sports outside of school, i just can’t help feel she’s going to miss out and in a few weeks time feel upset she’s missing out. It’s a tough one.

OP posts:
TrippleCooked · 30/09/2026 08:54

She sounds very much like my teenage daughter with these types of situations. Pests!

I would send her, she’ll have a wonderful experience that she can treasure forever.

BFFs come and go, she may not even be friends with her current friend by the time the trip comes round. So no, I wouldn’t let her back out. Just mention that she can decide nearer the time. If there’s a waiting list, you’ll get all the money back except the deposit.

My 15 yo went to Canada this year with her school and my son the USA, both for skiing and honestly they had the very best of times.

Nonobot · 30/09/2026 08:56

I would see if the school could give you an extension on the next payment and give her a couple of weeks without really mentioning it and see what she says then once she’s processed it a bit more.

I have a similar daughter and what I wouldn’t want is a lot of time and headspace being given to worrying about going on the trip in a year where she needs to be focusing a bit more on her GCSE subjects.

Houmousandcrisps · 30/09/2026 09:23

100% she should go- don’t engage with the drama, just repeat that you all agreed she would do the trip and that she will have a great time. Our DS has ADHD and I can very much imagine him doing this (including the rudeness which stems from panic) but he would come round in the end, and would have a great time.

New posts on this thread. Refresh page