Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

What works for sagging jowls?

70 replies

Droopyjaws · 25/01/2023 22:45

I’ve just noticed that I’m starting to get sagging jowls and they look awful! Is there anything that helps get rid/slow them down (other than a facelift which I won’t be having!)? A magic cream perhaps?! I’ve read that collagen supplements can help but not sure how much truth there is in that. Has anyone had any success with them and if so, what brand?

Thank you!!

OP posts:
Please
or

user12653085 · 25/01/2023 22:57

OH I want to know the answer to this question too as I am looking decidedly jowly and am not happy at all!

Please
or

Workinghardeveryday · 25/01/2023 22:58

Watching with interest!

Please
or

mickybarrysmum · 25/01/2023 22:58

I have just gotton one of those face toner electric zapper things and I'm hoping that works.

Please
or

Greatly · 25/01/2023 23:00

My 89 year old neighbour says only a face-lift gets rid of them. She had one 30 years ago!

Please
or

sausage767 · 25/01/2023 23:01

I have a Nuface (face toner electric zapper thing), I’ve used the Niod NEC cream, I’ve had 10 sessions of radio frequency treatment.

Minimal results.

I’m looking into getting a lower face/neck lift this year.

Please
or

sausage767 · 25/01/2023 23:02

Greatly · 25/01/2023 23:00

My 89 year old neighbour says only a face-lift gets rid of them. She had one 30 years ago!

She’s right, to be honest.

Please
or

stealtheatingtunnocks · 25/01/2023 23:04

Dying young

living in an iron lung

moving to a reduced gravity area

all of the above

don’t think anything works. I’m embracing mine and hoping to make a feature of full grown wattle

Please
or

LadyVictoriaSponge · 25/01/2023 23:05

There is only one way that will beat the dreaded sag and that’s a face lift or threads though I’ve heard they are not that good and don’t last long so a waste of money.

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 25/01/2023 23:07

Unfortunately, only a facelift will do it.

My 86 year old mother had a lower facelift in her 60s and her jawline is better than mine at 58 Confused

I certainly won't be doing the same though, I'll be putting up with the jowls.

Please
or

Farmageddon · 25/01/2023 23:08

Unfortunately, no cream is going to reverse laxity of the face. Even tretinoin which is great for skin tone and texture and fine lines etc. wont really work on the other ageing factors of our faces (fat loss and face laxity) as they are caused by the underlying fascia and fat layers. Apparently people have had some success with micro-current devices, but mainly if they are in the very early stages of jowls, and the lift is only temporary so you need to keep it up. However the effect would be mild to moderate.

Even if you ingest lots of great collagen (which actually you can get from just eating good quality protein) there's no guarantee it will travel to the exact places you want it to go like the face.

Apparently fillers in the cheeks can help a little bit to give the illusion of a slight 'lifting' of the face, but I'm a bit skeptical about this, and you would probably need quite a lot of them the get the effect and you run the risk of looking ridiculous with puffy cheeks.

Please
or

Hathats · 25/01/2023 23:17

Try a course CACI facials, it uses microcurrent to lift the facial muscles back into their original position. It started out as treatment for Bells Palsy. They do a treatment that just concentrates on the jowl area too.

Please
or

CrazyBiscuits · 25/01/2023 23:21

There's been so many programmes about dodgy cosmetic surgery that I think I'll be sticking with anything that happens to my face! Same with anything else that decides to go south 🙃 😄

Please
or

Justleaveitblankthen · 25/01/2023 23:25

A face lift only lasts a decade at best. So these elderly ladies only had the one? 🤔

Please
or

Chickydoo · 25/01/2023 23:32

I read that ulatherapy was good. I think it's an electric current thing.
Costs around 2k though

Please
or

goingback · 25/01/2023 23:33

all the people in my family with jowls have been up and down in weight always on the latest diet , the ones without have been a constant size. Incidently an old aunt with a jawline that could cut paper did yoga from the 70s and swore by face exercises so that is what I'm doing.

Please
or

9outof10cats · 25/01/2023 23:43

I bought one of these about a year ago.

www.stressnomore.co.uk/tua-tre-nd-electrostimulation-facial-toner-10249.html

I don't have sagging jowls, but I noticed my cheeks had dropped slightly as I aged.

It really is very good. You can move it around the face, change the frequency, and really feel the facial muscles working. I am still nowhere near the top frequency; it's too intense for me.

I use it about three times a week for about 45 mins and can honestly say I have seen an improvement in facial tone.

Please
or

RockStarship · 25/01/2023 23:47

This time last year I noticed that I was starting to get a saggy jawline and the beginnings of jowls. I started doing face yoga and within a few weeks the jowls had reduced, my jawline was smoother and the area under my chin was tighter. One of my eyelids was also starting to sag, and face yoga exercises have sorted that out as well. My whole face looks better- more defined, less bloating, better complexion- since I've been doing it. I do 15 mins a day whilst watching tv in the evening. If surgery or expensive cosmetic procedures aren't for you then I would definitely recommend face yoga.

Please
or

skippymcflippy · 26/01/2023 00:06

Well I took up French horn and that got rid of them. Also plumped up my lips. And improved my lung capacity immensely.

Please
or

ClaudiusTheGod · 26/01/2023 00:08

RockStarship · 25/01/2023 23:47

This time last year I noticed that I was starting to get a saggy jawline and the beginnings of jowls. I started doing face yoga and within a few weeks the jowls had reduced, my jawline was smoother and the area under my chin was tighter. One of my eyelids was also starting to sag, and face yoga exercises have sorted that out as well. My whole face looks better- more defined, less bloating, better complexion- since I've been doing it. I do 15 mins a day whilst watching tv in the evening. If surgery or expensive cosmetic procedures aren't for you then I would definitely recommend face yoga.

Do you follow a YouTube video or something like that? Any links would be most appreciated, thank you.

Please
or

1982mommaof4 · 26/01/2023 00:13

Watching for the links 😬

Please
or

LHReturns · 26/01/2023 00:24

Lower face lift…nothing else works.

Please
or

ChiefPearlClutcher · 26/01/2023 00:26

HRT to prevent collagen loss

Please
or

figmaofmyimagination · 26/01/2023 00:44

Also hoping for a face yoga link…

Please
or

TheyCallMeMrBoombastic · 26/01/2023 01:20

One of the benefits of wearing face masks during lockdown was that it hid them!

Please
or

JMAngel1 · 26/01/2023 04:39

Interested in the face yoga links - I’ve tried a few before and couldn’t stop laughing for all the funny faces I had to pull. Then I stopped as I was worried I was going to cause more lines from the increased facial expressions.

I find weight management works for mine - even if I just put on 3 pounds or so, my jawline looks more saggy. And alcohol definitely makes my jawline less sharp - I looked shocking after Xmas but am slowly getting there.

I use my Nu Face every morning and it definitely does lift the area but you have to use it every day. I can tell if I skip it.

I also like to use my neck cream on my jaw at night as it’s done wonders for tightening up my neck, I think it might help my jaw too - it’s the Prai neck cream. But I do have an extensive skincare regime (vit C, k-beauty serums, spf, azelaic, tretinoin) so hard to say which skincare might be helping.

Please
or