Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

Is colour analysis worth it?

47 replies

Potaytoes5 · 25/01/2023 10:57

As in the title. I know there were previous threads about it. I pretty much decided I want to treat myself to be 'draped' for my birthday, but I can't decide whether to go with House of Colour or Colour Me Beautiful consultant.
The CMB is £180 and is nearer me, whereas I'd have to travel for HOC and it's slightly dearer at £220. CMB is the new tonal one.
Does anyone have experience with both and can recommend or not recommend? I've brown hair and eyes and wonder if CMB will just put me into one of the categories solely based on that instead of draping me well.

OP posts:
Please
or

2020nymph · 25/01/2023 11:07

I did Style me happy with Emily. Turns out younger me had a much better understanding of what colour/style suited me! 😂

Please
or

CatsEatDogs · 25/01/2023 11:31

I had HOC about 10 years ago when it was cheaper than that. I can’t really say whether it is worth that money because that’s down to individuals. But I did love the process and it saved me a lot of money quite quickly as I stopped buying the “wrong” thing.
I do break the rules occasionally so I’m not a slave to it, but for example, I’d never try to make cream, beige, camel etc work now as I just know they never will. It’s given me
a better understanding of colour, what is warm vs cool etc and also the nuances around bright and clear vs muted etc and I can see and also understand what suits me and why

Please
or

newtb · 25/01/2023 11:45

I've done CMB several times between 30 and 55 with the same person. Your colours change with age and mine have gone much 'cooler'. I found it very interesting. As an aside their eye shadows never irritate, whereas most others do.

Please
or

Potaytoes5 · 25/01/2023 12:18

I read that online analysis isn't very accurate, @2020Nymph . I assume it could work for some people, but I think I might be quite neutral / in between types, so would prefer getting draped.
HOC looks a little bit more detailed than CMB, but not really sure about the differences.

OP posts:
Please
or

CatsEatDogs · 25/01/2023 12:34

Yes op, having been through the draping process with HOC, I’d never consider or recommend an online analysis, I can’t see how they could be anywhere near as good

Please
or

BlackFriday · 25/01/2023 12:38

Can't help with choosing one of those two but I can say that colour analysis per se is well worth it!
I had mine done decades ago and if I had a pound for every time someone has complimented me on a colour (shade) I'm wearing, I'd be very rich. Even when you're feeing shite and unwell, put on a top in "your" colour and you look instantly better.

Please
or

BraveMaeve · 25/01/2023 12:43

I had it done by an independent person last year and it cost £100 including a colour sample 'wallet' to take shopping. I really enjoyed it and found it useful. I was a different season than I thought so was interesting.

Please
or

Chewbecca · 25/01/2023 12:46

I did HoC and it was definitely worth it for me. I don’t have a great natural eye for colour or what suits me but I definitely get more compliments in my best colours and it is so much easier that my whole wardrobe works together.

I haven’t done any other brands so can’t compare.

Please
or

Potaytoes5 · 25/01/2023 12:46

@BraveMaeve the only independent person in my area does the 4 seasons so I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it? I tried Google but couldn't find anyone else.

OP posts:
Please
or

buckeejit · 25/01/2023 12:48

I did with HOC & loved it. Shopping is so easy now as I can discount most things!

Please
or

Northernlass99 · 25/01/2023 13:41

Definitely worth it. Cant remember who I did it with but the principles are the same so either will be good.

Please
or

cataloguejunkie · 25/01/2023 13:49

I’m a blue autumn , so on the cusp of winter - I was analysed by House of Colour about 6 years ago . Prior to that I was analysed as an autumn about 30 years ago by Colour me beautiful . House of Colour goes into more depth and is easier to interpret. Saves loads of money in the long run and you look your best .

Please
or

StrychnineInTheSandwiches · 25/01/2023 13:50

I was reading the below thread yesterday and the consensus seems to be that it is worth it. I don't seem to have any CMB consultants near me so House of Colour seems to be my only option.

www.mumsnet.com/talk/style_and_beauty/4714212-colour-analysis

Please
or

eldorado02 · 25/01/2023 14:03

I did House of Colour 8 years ago and it was excellent. As PP said, my “wow” colours are just that: instant glow and compliments. Now, to actually follow the structure 100% of the time is difficult, esp in our glorious British winters where warmth and practicality outdoors trump absolute adherence to your season. I know my winter coat does me no favours BUT it’s warm, waterproof and has excellent pockets, so I take the hit. It’s much easier in the warmer or at least less brutal months!

Please
or

MistySkiesAreGone · 25/01/2023 18:39

Agree HOC is worth it. I did mine in Nov 2021. I have brown hair and brown eyes and I am a very rare Spring which I would never have guessed, in fact a Paintbox Spring so I look best in all the bright saturated colours. With HOC you get a swatch and booklet and makeup and lipstick. It makes shopping so much quicker, the makeup transformation has been amazing.

I wouldn't say it is without challenges, some colours are hard to find and shopping online is hard as you can't always tell. Also you need to know your body shape and style.
I was buying things and they didn't work so I have been figuring that out.

Please
or

mintich · 25/01/2023 18:45

I had mine done with Francesca Cairns. You can find her on Instagram. She's fab!

Please
or

BuzzyBusyBee · 25/01/2023 18:45

I am not into fashion/clothes and actively hate shopping but I can honestly say HOC has saved me so much wasted time, money and stress. I am a jewel winter and have used my colour wallet to create an easy ‘uniform’ look (black jeans, jumper in one of my main colours) and even though on paper this sounds incredibly boring people always compliment me on my outfit - 100% down to buying things in the right colour!

Please
or

MistySkiesAreGone · 25/01/2023 18:50

There is also a slightly wierd cult around HOC of people who don't deviate and only wear their seasonal colours. There, I said it.

As long as you wear your best colours near your face it's fine, and failing that wear a lipstick that is suited to your skintone!

Please
or

MistySkiesAreGone · 25/01/2023 18:50

Not from the HOC consultants I should say, more from the Facebook groups online.

Please
or

ItsNotUnusualToBe · 25/01/2023 18:58

HOC done 11 years ago. Not a slave to it but the system is 100% right for me. I agree it’s saved me money.

Please
or

OrangePomander · 25/01/2023 19:06

I did this with House of Colour and can highly recommend it. Like pps it has saved me a ton of money and time and I regularly get compliments on how well I look (a colour illusion, as I’m permanent knackered) or how the colours suit me. I had to travel quite a way but have kept in touch as they are so good and do regular (generally free or low-cost) events.

Please
or

Potaytoes5 · 25/01/2023 19:25

Thank you all. There don't seem to be that many experiences of CMB. I was kind of hoping to hear they're ok too as there's one much nearer me than HOC!

OP posts:
Please
or

dinmin · 25/01/2023 19:29

Why don’t you just go for a general stylist who will advise on colours but also cuts/shape/lengths/necklines/how to style your current wardrobe and what to add?

Please
or

darkmoor · 25/01/2023 20:27

Was given a Colour Me Beautiful about 15 years ago. Came out as autumn I think, anyway warm jewel colours, with gold jewellery to blend or silver to pop, and to avoid harsh combos e.g. black and white. It's the colours near face that count. And it was spot on, and I still use it guide my wardrobe. Can go brighter when have a tan etc, but those are definitely the colours that work as my base. Would recommend.

Please
or

Namechangingagain111 · 25/01/2023 20:41

I did HoC about 30 years ago and it explained all the outfits in my wardrobe which I'd worn once then never again
I buy a lot fewer outfits now but they're all ones I want to wear !!

Please
or