Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

I’ve just ordered these boots

28 replies

macaroonsandgin · 24/01/2023 17:58

Been looking for some like this for ages! One problem though - they’re suede not leather.

They’re going to look shit after five minutes in the rain/dirt aren’t they? Can suede boots ever be kept looking nice?!?!

I should just return them shouldn’t I…

OP posts:
Please
or

Swearwolf · 24/01/2023 18:05

Depends if you plan to wear them every day or if you have lots of other boots. If you can avoid wearing them when it's wet you should be fine.

Please
or

NightOwlNotEarlyBird · 24/01/2023 18:25

It depends if you're the type of person to keep your white trainers white...?

I've had light coloured suede shoes that survived pretty well with intermittent cleaning (suede brush and sometimes suede cleaner). You can also get protecting sprays which help a bit.

If you got it for the sale price I'd say keep them so at least you can see whether suede works for you. And if they do get wrecked at least it wasn't super expensive!

Please
or

bettybadger · 24/01/2023 20:46

I LOVE suede boots.!! You just need to keep a suede brush by the front door. And some suede cleaner for an occasional clean if necessary.

Black suede is a bit easier as you can buy spray to 'reblacken' it.

Please
or

ladymacbeth · 24/01/2023 21:15

I think you should return them

Please
or

ImAvingOops · 24/01/2023 21:38

I'm on the app and there's no picture. What am I doing wrong?

Please
or

Alvinne · 24/01/2023 21:41

Keep them if they were only 19.99, they wouldn't suit me, but that's a total bargain

Hopefully you can try and just wear them on non rainy days

Please
or

DaVariance · 24/01/2023 23:02

Just don't wear them on a rainy day

Please
or

KCandtheSunlightBand · 24/01/2023 23:09

Suede protector is your friend. It will appear to have darkened the suede, but will dry lighter. Two coats and water will just bead off. Repeat coat as necessary. Terrible smell whilst drying, so I normally spray them outside.

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 24/01/2023 23:17

ImAvingOops · 24/01/2023 21:38

I'm on the app and there's no picture. What am I doing wrong?

There's a link in the first sentence, it's been prettified which makes it hard to see on the apps. https://www.zara.com/uk/en/split-suede-track-sole-ankle-boots-p13142810.html?v1=177666567&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9b6luPggAIV4IBQBh10BA2LEAQYASABEgJeRDDBwE

To answer the OP...well tbh I think they're hideous, but that thick sole should keep the suede out of most dirt.

Please
or

macaroonsandgin · 25/01/2023 06:56

Hmm, some mixed responses there! 🤔

Thanks everyone for all the advice about suede protectors etc.

Will have to see what they’re like and how they stand up to the weather when they arrive…

OP posts:
Please
or

ImAvingOops · 25/01/2023 07:25

Thank you @ErrolTheDragon

OP, I'm not keen - the dole is disproportionally large and there's a danger they could look like comedy shoes.

Please
or

macaroonsandgin · 25/01/2023 19:57

OK wise S&Bers, the consensus seems to be they’re not a good look.

Please save me from the clown boots - where should I be shopping to find a chunky tan leather ankle boot that won’t make me look ridiculous?

Are they a stupid thing to even be contemplating buying and should I be looking for something else instead??

OP posts:
Please
or

AnyFucker · 25/01/2023 20:01

Do they make your feet look as comically massive as the model’s ? 😊

Please
or

macaroonsandgin · 25/01/2023 20:53

@AnyFucker 😂 not sure as they aren’t here yet…

Perhaps I should report back with pics when they arrive and people can diagnose 🤔

OP posts:
Please
or

lyson · 25/01/2023 20:57

The model's face says it all

Please
or

NashvilleQueen · 25/01/2023 21:00

Are they a suede rip off of the Balenciaga ones?

Please
or

whizzpopping · 25/01/2023 21:00

I would watch out for salt/grit mostly. That's what tends to ruin suede boots in my experience

Please
or

macaroonsandgin · 25/01/2023 21:31

Ahh @NashvilleQueen do you mean these?

www.harrods.com/en-gb/shopping/balenciaga-leather-tractor-ankle-boots-19452925

Are these any less comedy or just as bad?? (At £825 I won’t be buying them, just wondering if I should give up on the whole thing or keep looking!)

OP posts:
Please
or

NashvilleQueen · 25/01/2023 22:08

Yes! I did mean those. I saw a group of women in Manchester before Christmas all wearing the Balanciaga (whether real or rip off) boots. I'm sure they're very comfortable and suede is harder wearing than you think.

Please
or

tommerj · 25/01/2023 22:14

To answer the OP...well tbh I think they're hideous, but that thick sole should keep the suede out of most dirt.

Agree with this. They might be safe as the plastic sole is massive, and extends outwards. Like being on a plinth.

Unusual choice. 😀

Please
or

NightOwlNotEarlyBird · 26/01/2023 10:59

If you like them when they arrive, just wear them and not care what other people think!

Please
or

Lakeyloo · 26/01/2023 13:47

Please
or

bingoitsadingo · 26/01/2023 14:55

I quite like them, but they're very trendy. Are they something you're planning on keeping for years, or wearing intensively for a year or two and then moving on to something else? If the former, then I'd just be picky about when you wear them - don't wear them if it's chucking it down and you're walking loads. If the latter, then buy them and don't worry too much!

If you want to wear them everyday as your only pair of boots, and have them last years, then suede might not be the best choice. But in general its a great material. I have suede shoes that have lasted years!

Please
or

macaroonsandgin · Yesterday 10:37

Welp, they’ve arrived and I LOVE them!!

Thank you everyone for your tips on keeping suede looking fresh, I will be giving it my best go!

OP posts:
Please
or

TangledWebOfDeception · Yesterday 10:38

You're fine. Good quality suede is actually very hard wearing if you look after it properly.

Please
or