Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Interview clothes for Zoom interview

zoomstyle · 06/08/2022 15:01

What would you wear to a zoom interview? It's so long since I had an interview, and I've been working at home in my PJs in a job you weren't expected to wear business clothes for, so I feel a bit lost!

I have a blazer top I could wear, what would you wear underneath? does it have to be a shirt? Could it be some other kind of top?

Any other tips for interviewing on Zoom?

OP's posts:
Please
or

zoomstyle · 06/08/2022 15:35

Hooeful bump Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pootle40 · 06/08/2022 15:36

Treat it the same as f2f interview I'd say.

Please
or

Mol1628 · 06/08/2022 15:36

Same as what you’d wear if it was in person.

Please
or

heddgiemum · 06/08/2022 15:37

For my zoom interview I wore what I would wear for a normal interview on the top half at least! I had a jacket, top and jeans and changed straight after. If I got up, there was no way they'd see my bottom half, so didn't have to worry about that,

But yeah, Normal interview clothes and good luck!

Please
or

Chewbecca · 06/08/2022 15:41

I don't think a jacket is essential - a very smart blouse with tidy hair, some light make up and nice jewels is fine. Anything you like on the bottom.

Please
or

SheWoreYellow · 06/08/2022 15:43

Depends on the industry. Where I am, science/nhs a shirt is fine. Banking/law might still be more traditional and need a jacket.

Please
or

MarmiteCoriander · 06/08/2022 15:48

I wore a blouse and jacket. Make-up and hair done. Same as a normal interview- but I had casual shorts on and no shoes!

Please
or

zoomstyle · 06/08/2022 15:57

People in the industry seem very well groomed / well dressed. I'm not usually. If I get this job I'll be back for style advice for the office! (It's a hybrid post).

OP's posts:
Please
or

SheWoreYellow · 06/08/2022 17:07

Ok well in that case :

very neat hair
bit of makeup if you wear it
necklace or earring depending on neckline
jacket
blouse/shell top type thing

Please
or

TheChosenTwo · 06/08/2022 17:07

I had an interview on Teams and I wore the dress that I would have worn in person, plus I put shoes and perfume on too!
made me feel very put together.
Smile a lot, that’s my tip. Make sure if anyone is in the house with you at the time that they are banned from walking into the room or making noise elsewhere. Do a test run of where you’ll sit and make sure you’re clear and well lit, not with a bright window behind you as you’ll ended up shadowed out and they won’t be able to see your face properly (this is my biggest online meeting bugbear although I know it often can’t be helped!!).

Please
or

Starseeking · 06/08/2022 17:27

I wear the same thing for Zoom interviews that I would wear for an in person interview. Helps to feel on the zone, plus you look well put together.

If it's a more formal kind of environment, id wear either a blouse and skirt, with a tailored blazer over it (not a suit) or a dress with the same blazer over. Plus makeup, hair nicely combed and stud earrings. You need to make an effort not look like you just rolled out of bed.

Please
or

TeddyTed · 06/08/2022 17:37

I would wear a nice blouse or other smart top (not necessarily a jacket but my profession doesn’t normally demand it), make up and hair done. I would also wear smart trousers or skirt as I would in a face to face interview. I think it would make me feel more “in the zone” on the day.

Good luck op! 🍀

Please
or

MarmiteCoriander · 06/08/2022 20:03

I don't know about zoom, but teams allows you to blur the background or add a fake office type background. I was unaware of this during my 1st virtual interview! Check the camera beforehand, lighting, height of laptop vs camera etc so you are fully visible.

We are renovating, and living in an old static caravan. Unaware of filters, you could clearly see the revolting, retro, brown curtains and aztec patterned sofa in my interview!!! 😬 I got the job though!

Please
or

thesandwich · 06/08/2022 20:05

Put prompts on post it’s behind your screen.

Please
or

TheChosenTwo · 07/08/2022 09:24

@thesandwich i had large post it’s on the wall behind my screen for the interview, I’d made key notes on there that I did manage to sneak glances at to help me! A bonus of an online interview 😂

Please
or

QueenofDestruction · 07/08/2022 10:57

I would wear a plain white or black top and a smart scarf and add a jacket if need be. I often work in a white t shirt and throw on a scarf for client meetings and often get told how smart I look

Please
or

Augend23 · 07/08/2022 11:00

Make sure you are lit from the front - so ideally facing a window or at the very least not back lit. Test this out before hand - some computers male you go purple when combined with yellow lighting. I had to switch a lightbulb over to a much cooler coloured one to get rid of this.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.