Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Does anyone recall Weekenders capsule wardrobe

crochetmonkey74 · 05/08/2022 15:48

I'm a lover of vintage magazines and I recall seeing in one a company called Weekenders maybe?
It was a capsule wardrobe that came in a bag and the coat could turn into a dress etc etc I'm sure in the magazine it said they showed at expos like Earls Court etc
I've tried googling but nothing is coming up. Can anyone remember it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

TippyHaha · 05/08/2022 20:13

Yes, I remember Weekenders. My mum's friend worked for them.

As I recall it was an MLM type thing and my mum's friend did her own parties to sell the clothes but also had to recruit other people to hold their own parties and she got a cut etc etc.

The actual clothes themselves were made of quite a thick jersey material and were all plain colours, no patterns. They were based on your 'colours' eg winter, autumn etc and the idea was that if you bought all eg autumn colurs, everything would go with everything else. I don't remember the coat you mention, but I do remember there being a long maxi skirt type thing that could be a skirt or a boob tube type dress or a mini dress depending how you styled them.

Mum's friend did it for a couple of years but I don't know what happened to them after that.

Please
or

crochetmonkey74 · 05/08/2022 20:43

Oh wow thanks for replying! I wish I could find some old pics online, I love capsule wardrobes and convertible clothing!

OP's posts:
Please
or

RandomMess · 05/08/2022 20:45

My Aunt made a fortune doing this she loved it 😍

Please
or

FormerlySpeckledyHen · 06/08/2022 06:53

There is some on eBay.

Please
or

DobbyTheHouseElk · 06/08/2022 07:04

I went to a “weekenders” party. It was amazing, the clothes all became other things by styling them. They had big buckles/plastic discs you sort of used to bunch up and create a gather in the fabric. All bright colours I think and very versatile.

It was a Tupperware party for the 90’s. Mum’s friend got into it. I remember the coat being a big thing.

Please
or

crochetmonkey74 · 06/08/2022 08:47

FormerlySpeckledyHen · 06/08/2022 06:53

There is some on eBay.

Can you link? I searched but it seems there's lots of other companies with that name

OP's posts:
Please
or

Greengr · 06/08/2022 13:17

My friend and I used to sell it when we were in our 20's, sold mainly to our mums and their friends, made a fortune!

Please
or

Greengr · 06/08/2022 13:19

Just had a google, there's loads on eBay for sale. Oh the memories, I used to get my friend to model and I would talk about all the different outfits you could make.

Please
or

Solosunrise · 06/08/2022 13:23

Yes! I went to a party at my mum's, and came away with a really nice white tee shirt and a jacket and skirt. Didn't realise it was meant to be so versatile but it was very good quality jersey material and i wore it for years!

Please
or

ShaunaTheSheep · 06/08/2022 13:24

Gosh yes, I remember this. A work friend wore a lot of it and invited me to a selling party. I think I had a black jersey dress and a cream jacket thing...it was good quality.

Please
or

SpongeBobJudgeyPants · 06/08/2022 18:30

I had the black skirt and top. They were great, and I remember you could shove things under them to create interesting detail. They were good quality, and I generally wore them as they were, and was very sad when I wore them out!

Please
or

Mushroomlady · 06/08/2022 18:35

My mum used to sell them. The quality was very good. I wish something like that existed now.

Please
or

crochetmonkey74 · 06/08/2022 21:00

Greengr · 06/08/2022 13:19

Just had a google, there's loads on eBay for sale. Oh the memories, I used to get my friend to model and I would talk about all the different outfits you could make.

I can see them on ebay now but how did they change into other things?

OP's posts:
Please
or

frozenorangejuice · 06/08/2022 21:07

My Mum used to do this with a friend in the mid-late 90s! Very sadly her friend passed away - I think it was around the mid 00s. The Weekenders expos always had Simply the Best playing for the finale - her funeral ended with this song and I still can’t listen to it without tears in my eyes!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.