Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Overweight and going to a spa. Help!

AThornyIssue · 14/05/2022 09:45

I'm overweight (3 stone) and although I'm currently trying to lose it, I am very self conscious about my body! In a couple of months I'm going to do a spa day/hen do and there's no way I'll be getting into the pool or showing off my body in this way. The thought fills me with terror!
I've been trying to think what to do and the best I can manage is maybe a flattering swimsuit and like a long cover-up. I'll probably just sit on a lounger and read a book while everyone else does their thing.

But just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? How can I take part but without showing my blubber?

OP's posts:
Please
or

strrawberriesandcream · 14/05/2022 09:47

Don't be so hard on yourself, nobody will be looking at you or criticising you. So dont do it to yourself Flowers

There are some lovely swimsuits that cover up more of the body. How about something like this? It comes in plus sizes.

Please
or

strrawberriesandcream · 14/05/2022 09:50

Or a swim dress?

Please
or

GetOffTheTableMabel · 14/05/2022 09:59

Most spas offer robes. Why not ring ahead and check whether yours does. Most spas have more people in robes than anywhere else and there are often poolside loungers so that, if you really can’t bear to get in, you can be near your friends. But spas are full of people of all shapes and sizes and you may well find that you are more comfortable than you think, so do try to find a swimsuit that you might sidle into the pool in. You can keep a towelling robe on the side. There’s no need to walk about in your swimsuit. Robes are everywhere in spas.

Please
or

resuwen · 14/05/2022 11:50

Swim dress! I have chubby hips/thighs. I've been wearing swim dresses for years.

Please
or

Bells3032 · 14/05/2022 11:56

I have a swim suit from amazon that looks like a tank top and cycle shorts and love it. So comfy to chill in too and hides my awful thighs. I have a few swim dresses but find they float up and retain water so drip everywhere when you get out.

Please
or

Itsabeautifuldaytosavelives123 · 14/05/2022 18:30

Oh please don't worry about your weight. The last time I was at a spa there was every shape and size under the sun, no-one was looking at anyone, or there for that reason. People there just to relax. I felt self conscious before going but totally relaxed once there.

Please
or

user75 · 14/05/2022 18:34

Please don't do this to yourself. Myself and my BFF go to a spa every year and have such a good time. She has been anywhere from an size 18-30 over the years and she says it is such a lovely female environment that she truly relaxes. She wears a bikini and looks absolutely beautiful. Enjoy yourself, 3stone is not much.

Please
or

icelollycraving · 14/05/2022 18:35

3 stone overweight? You won’t be the only one. Nice swimsuit, little wrap if you any one, spray tan hides a multitude of sins. Just be yourself and have fun.

Please
or

heidbuttsupper · 14/05/2022 18:40

I'm fat and go on spa days all the time! Please don't worry, go and enjoy yourself

Please
or

doadeer · 14/05/2022 19:01

I've been so many many spas. I have never not seen a vast array of shapes and sizes and that's even super fancy London Hotel ones. Nobody is looking at you. Everyone is in their robes and loads of people don't actually swim. Try to just enjoy and not worry x

Please
or

Goldengoosey · 14/05/2022 20:59

I’m much bigger than you and regularly go to spa days. I’m not a fan of swim dresses as I feel they make me look bigger as they shorten my legs.

My advice is get a decent one piece that fits and supports your cup size and enjoy. As others have said all shapes and sizes. You will see women in robes or towels and also women in bikinis. Don’t deprive yourself of having a lovely day because you’re carrying a bit of weight. Enjoy x

Please
or

daisyjgrey · 15/05/2022 01:30

Stop talking about yourself, to yourself like that, for a start.

Then buy a nice swimsuit and get in the pool, because nobody cares. They invited you, they want to do that activity with you, they don't care.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.