Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Shirtdress ok when I’m 5ft 2?

tricolore · 14/05/2022 08:19

https://www.cosstores.com/en_gbp/women/womenswear/dresses/product.belted-linen-shirt-dress-blue.1077130002.html

I really like this and would envisage it being a holiday staple,
belted like this as a dress for casual evenings/days, thrown on over a bikini for beach or pool, open over t shirt and jeans etc.

But, will the style swamp me as I’m not tall?

TIA

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sooverthemill · 14/05/2022 08:22

I am 5’1 and wear shirt dresses. Some work some don’t. Here is me last year in one that isn’t ‘petite’. Boden do good petite shirt dresses too

Shirtdress ok when I’m 5ft 2?
Please
or

minipie · 14/05/2022 08:23

I’m 5’3 and this would drown me.

but then I think it looks dreadful on the model so I’m possibly not the best to aak

Shirtdresses in general I think are fine on smaller people but need to be a neater shape.

Please
or

CarrieMoonbeams · 14/05/2022 08:25

I wear shirt dresses nearly all of the time, I'm 5'1". I don't wear ones with a belt or with a 'defined' waist though because they don't sit right on me.

The best ones I have are from Hush, AllSaints, White Company, Joules and Paul Smith. Had a nice one from Gant too but their styling seems to have changed recently so they don't suit me so well now.

Please
or

Brogues · 14/05/2022 08:34

I’m 5’1and have been deliberating long shirts recently and have come to the conclusion I’d need something with shorter arms if the look is oversized or it would just look like I was wearing my dads shirt.

Please
or

Playplayaway · 14/05/2022 08:46

I'm small and look better in sleeveless shirt dresses. It's the sleeves that are always too big, especially over the shoulders.

Please
or

lljkk · 14/05/2022 08:49

imho, they are (much) less flattering than many other styles available : regardless of your height or weight. However, if they are comfortable or suit your style, no reason not to wear one just because of being short.

Please
or

PickAChew · 14/05/2022 08:50

That one would. The sleeves are even too long for the model. I'm 5"4 (at last count, might be shorter, now) with short arms and cos swamps me.

Please
or

Resilience9to5 · 14/05/2022 10:02

No. I'm 5'1 and that would look shit on me.
A more fitted shirt dress looks good on me though, I have a few

Please
or
Please
or

Resilience9to5 · 14/05/2022 10:06

Please
or

BerthaLovelock · 14/05/2022 10:11

in that Cos dress you run the risk of being mistaken for a care worker. The brown one is simply hideous.

I ordered a Boden petite 8 shirt dress. It was huge - arms long enough for a gibbon and the back was too long - not in smaller proportions at all. That is the trouble with shirt dresses on the shorter person: they balloon out on the top half.

Please
or

KimikosNightmare · 14/05/2022 17:03

https://communityclothing.co.uk/collections/womenswear/products/cottondress-straight-pinkstripe

Really not my style of dress but Community Clothing have several which are more fitted than Cos so not looking like a care worker, whilst not going to the other extreme of looking like a nurse in a 70s Carry On film (sorry but the Sosander dress is awful)

Please
or

coffeeschmoffee · 14/05/2022 17:16

I have some Ellen Shirt dresses from Nobody's Child which work well on me - I'm also 5ft 1
https://www.nobodyschild.com/ellen-shirt-mini-dress.html

Please
or

minipie · 14/05/2022 17:53

La Redoute have a lot of shirt dresses and being a French company their styles are usually quite neat rather than voluminous.

this could fit the bill maybe, but there are loads of others on there

Not sure any shirtdress is going to look right open over T shirt and jeans mind you

Please
or

Mrsteapot42 · 14/05/2022 17:57

IMO if it looks shit on someone who is tall and thin, it will look 100 times worse on short, fat me.

I also think if it's 100% linen, it would crease to death and won't actually look like it does in the picture longer than five minutes.

Please
or

Everydaydayisaschoolday · 14/05/2022 20:22

The model is 8 inches taller than you so it looks as if this would reach mid calf on you, so Yes, it would probably swamp you.

it's also quite full and shapeless. As a fellow shortie (5ft 1in) I find fitted styles are less likely to swallow me up.

Please
or

SirChenjins · 14/05/2022 20:30

I’m 5’1” and often wear shirt dresses - but that one looks very shapeless and poorly fitting. I think it would swamp you sadly.

Please
or

tricolore · 15/05/2022 06:53

Thank you all SO much for the replies and links. I really appreciate it and will look at all of them today.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sooverthemill · 15/05/2022 12:57

@minipie it can look great

Shirtdress ok when I’m 5ft 2? Shirtdress ok when I’m 5ft 2? Shirtdress ok when I’m 5ft 2?
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.