Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Party dress, mid forties, help!

CrispyTofu · 13/05/2022 18:25

So it's a long time since I've been to a party that didn't involve pass the parcel, bouncy castles and jelly & ice cream.

However, the time has come and I've been invited to a 'proper' party. It's in a Hall, disco/band, it's a joint, adults significant birthday party. There will be a range of ages there but lots of young trendy people in the mix. I am not young and I'm definitely not trendy - although I was in my day Wink

It's the same old story, I've lost my style, no idea what is trendy and what people even wear to a party? I'm 5'5, size 8, big boobs, and a rounded tum which I'd rather not accentuate.

What do people wear to parties these days, everything I can see online is either super casual or black tie/wedding quest attire. Help me fashionable mumsnetters..........

OP's posts:
Please
or

FrontRowSeat · 13/05/2022 19:42

Honestly I have no idea. I’ve just spent the day in the city and came home empty handed (and close to tears). Tried on loads of midi dresses but they just looked sack like. All the tops were either teeny crop tops/ boob tubes or had spaghetti straps - nobody wants to see my upper arms.

Everything else seemed to be wedding wear or work clothes. FML.

Please
or

CrispyTofu · 13/05/2022 20:43

@FrontRowSeat I feel your pain, it's nice to know I'm not the only one! Do you need something for a special occasion?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MissyB1 · 13/05/2022 20:47

Oh god I know what you mean! I went to a 50th birthday party last weekend, it was at a hotel and I needed a nice dress. No chance!! It was an impossible task!
ended up wearing an old summer dress and felt badly dressed all night.

What are you supposed to wear these days?

Please
or

CurvyBirdy · 13/05/2022 20:49

Who gives a toss about whats trendy, just get out there and let rip, be friendly and live life, ps if they had a bouncy castle that would be cool

Please
or

teaandtoastwithmarmite · 13/05/2022 21:09

Last party I went to I wore a halterneck mid length dress. One before I wore a blue sort of shift dress of lace. Can't link it. It was from next but male was Roman. I felt good in it. And I have a tummy

Please
or

posalie · 13/05/2022 21:59

I've always loved a cape dress https://www.ralphlauren.co.uk/en/cape-georgette-cocktail-dress-605922.html

Back when I partied more, I used to shop at Maje, Sandro and Kooples, and also Outnet online. I just checked out a couple of these, and the styles just look a bit weird and not at all classic shapes. Outnet still had some decent things though. What's your normal style?

Please
or

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo · 13/05/2022 22:31

Have you got a budget OP? I think dressing for parties and wotnot is hard just now, we've all been so restricted for the last two years and out of practise! And a fair few high street staples have gone by the wayside.

Please
or

autienotnaughty · 13/05/2022 22:44

FrontRowSeat

Honestly I have no idea. I’ve just spent the day in the city and came home empty handed (and close to tears). Tried on loads of midi dresses but they just looked sack like. All the tops were either teeny crop tops/ boob tubes or had spaghetti straps - nobody wants to see my upper arms.

Everything else seemed to be wedding wear or work clothes. FML.

Yes!!! I went shopping the other day, what is with all the sack dresses!!

Please
or

Vohgue · 14/05/2022 02:32

Whistles might be a good place to start? Do you want a dress or separates?

Please
or

Aria999 · 14/05/2022 04:08

Does it have to be a dress? I normally feel much safer in black trousers and a nice top not that I have been to a party for about 5 years

Please
or

Purplehonesty2 · 14/05/2022 04:47

What about a jumpsuit? Wide leg? I have a really nice one from Lipsy.

I always think big boobs look great in a jumpsuit

I also have a bit of a tummy so if I'm wearing a dress I go for a fit and flare style - so fitted top and then skirt comes out a bit.

You might not like this design but this is the style I mean and there are heaps of different ones out there to choose from

https://www.asos.com/ted-baker/ted-baker-indiggo-colourblock-pleated-dress-in-navy/prd/201725690?affid=25888&Cj0KCQjwgiTBhDrARIsAD3Ib5gSVuYJJEFqquSTaiaZV0BymCjwnjitOROWWdE6yvgd-N6EqxeegQaAs-eEALwwcB&channelref=product+search&ppcadref=12029787983%7C117574734673%7Cpla-295337885746&gbraid=0AAAAADqFjOCaUliEsM2j82svDshVC26Mh&gbraid=0AAAAADqFjOCaUliEsM2j82svDshVC26Mh&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgiTBhDrARIsAD3Ib5gSVuYJJEFqquSTaiaZV0BymCjwnjitOROWWdE6yvgd-N6EqxeegQaAs-eEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Please
or

waltzingparrot · 14/05/2022 08:25

I thought the LBD never went out of fashion.

Please
or

DarlingCoffee · 14/05/2022 09:03

if you have the budget OP have a look at Rixo, their dresses are beautiful and perfect for a party

Please
or

jimboandthejetset · 14/05/2022 09:23

Try Wolf and Badger. Lots of lovely stuff on there. Also Finary for really nice dresses.
The last time I went to a party I wore a midi dress and short ankle boots with a heel. The one before that, a black boiler suit that I poshed up with a nice belt, jewellery, and clogs.

Please
or

ZenNudist · 14/05/2022 09:58

I'm wearing a leopard print shirt dress from hush with yellow sandals to my next party.

Please
or

notasgreenasiamcabbagelooking · 14/05/2022 11:41

I second Maje, if the budget will stretch. It can be a bit pricey but there are loads of dresses on The Outnet here https://www.theoutnet.com/en-es/shop/search/maje%20dress

Also check out the Reiss outlet. This https://www.reiss.com/eu/en/g26917s1/m84000#m84000 could work well with your figure.

Please
or

CrispyTofu · 14/05/2022 16:09

@posalie that dress is gorgeous! Feels like an investment piece too, which I like.

My style before children was skater/fit and flare dresses for going out and skinny jeans by day. Post children I mostly wear the mum stables of chinos, white pumps and classic T or floral maxi dress, denim jacket and white pumps. I know, I know, I'm stuck in a rut!

OP's posts:
Please
or

CrispyTofu · 14/05/2022 16:10

@WhatWouldTheDoctorDo I'm lucky that I'm very flexible on budget, although I'd rather not spend over £150 unless it's an investment piece and timeless or I'm going to be able to wear it to other occasions. I don't go to many parties!

OP's posts:
Please
or

CrispyTofu · 14/05/2022 16:12

@Vohgue I don't mind if it's a dress or separates, I usually go for a dress as it's easier than putting 2 pieces together but I'm open to both. My bum isn't the best, so trousers can be tricky to make luck good.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CrispyTofu · 14/05/2022 16:13

@Aria999 I don't think I've ever owned a pair of black trousers, I'm usually a bit more colourfulSmile

OP's posts:
Please
or

Summerhillsquare · 14/05/2022 16:15

Get yourself a John Lewis stylist free appointment, they'll find you something..

Please
or

PollyIndia · 14/05/2022 16:26

I'm 46, and I love to go out dancing.
Tonight I'm wearing combats, platforms and a black bustier with a blazer. I also love wearing dresses. I'll defo go out for the may bank hol, and I want to wear a colourful dress and heels, so am on the hunt for that.

I also spotted this on net a porter which is a great party dress with heels I think - doesn't feel too dressy but it's fun https://www.net-a-porter.com/en-gb/shop/product/farm-rio/clothing/mini-dresses/tiered-printed-cotton-voile-mini-dress/38063312420578444. I think might be a bit long for me as am only 5'2 but it would hide the tum and I think sounds like might suit you.

I love farm rio, been looking at some dresses on their main site, but a bit much to ship from Brazil.

Please
or

PollyIndia · 14/05/2022 16:29

Oh sorry that link doesn't seem to work. Does this one? https://www.net-a-porter.com/en-gb/shop/product/farm-rio/clothing/mini-dresses/tiered-printed-cotton-voile-mini-dress/38063312420578444
If not, just search for
FARM RIO
Tiered printed cotton-voile mini dress

Please
or

Shinyandnew1 · 14/05/2022 16:30

Post children I mostly wear the mum stables

Mum stables probably wasn’t the look you were going for!

Please
or

DialSquare · 14/05/2022 16:45

If you used to like skater dresses, would something like this work?

https://www.asos.com/prd/201646848?acquisitionsource=pasteboard

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.