My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Style mistakes

8 replies

whambamthankyou · 22/12/2018 15:03

I'm 40 but still make style mistakes. You would have thought I'd have learnt by now but no I still get things wrong and still not confident each suits me and what doesn't. Is this normal?!

OP posts:
Floisme · 22/12/2018 15:50

I make mistakes all the time because I haven't got the same body I had at 20 or even 50 so knowing what suited me then is of limited use. I'm forever playing catch up with what I see in the mirror or on camera.

In any case, I think experimenting is part of the fun. No-one dies if I get it wrong.

ThePortugueseTart · 22/12/2018 16:03

I’m 42. Yes, I still make mistakes.
I need to remember to dress for the body I have and the life I lead rather than some fantasy in my head.

Thankssomuch · 22/12/2018 21:29

I don’t mind the idea of making style mistakes, it shows we are still trying new things and haven’t chosen to stick with the tried and tested. And at the end of the day, who cares? It’s just fashion! Just clothes.

Babygrey7 · 23/12/2018 08:16

Making mistakes is part of it, I often get things wrong before I get them right Grin

But if you never try a new look, you keep stuck in the fashion of the era you were last confident to experiment...nothing wrong with that, but personally I can still be a bit stuck in the 90s at times Wink so I make myself try out more modern stuff

Floisme · 23/12/2018 10:14

This isn’t very nice of me at all but whenever someone says they’re 40 now and they know what suits them, I always smile to myself and think ‘just you wait.’

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 23/12/2018 15:41

I find summer dressing really hard (and did even when I was really skinny too). I make fewer mistakes in Autumn and winter.

QuaterMiss · 23/12/2018 16:07

Nah mate! Making mistakes proves you're still alive.

Sure, some waste of money is annoying, but it is, relatively, a really tiny problem. And you wouldn't want to be one of those 'I know my style and I have enough clothes to last the rest of my life ...' people, would you?

Sarcelle · 23/12/2018 17:28

I need to remember to dress for the body I have and the life I lead rather than some fantasy in my head.

This.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.