My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Game changer for those who cannot curl hair using straighteners!

25 replies

HappenstanceMarmite · 19/12/2018 11:10

I have tried to get the hang of creating waves with GHDs for ever. My daughter does it with ease and has tried to teach me, but I just can’t get the hang of it! I’m usually good with hair and have mastered many a technique over the years but not this one.

In my search for the perfect beach wave I have used two sizes of curling wand, two different sorts of device that both drag the hair in and curl it. I don’t achieve the curls I want with any of them (some too tight, others too loose). I worry about them damaging my hair as I have to use a high heat for quite a long time on my thick hair. But now I think I have the solution. Watch this video:

OP posts:
BlessedBeTheFruitCake · 19/12/2018 11:58

Thanks!
Going to try this.

HappenstanceMarmite · 19/12/2018 12:14

Let me know how you get on!

OP posts:
naturistmum · 19/12/2018 12:19

Oh this looks easy - I too struggle with the 'usual' way' and am lucky if I get a strange kink in my hair. I'll be trying this out later. Thanks for the video link!

Frequency · 19/12/2018 12:21

Twist your hair, keep hold of the end so it stays twisted and run your straighteners down the twist. Keep hold of the twisted hair for a second or two until it cools. It's the easiest way to get big, loose waves.

DatsunCogs · 19/12/2018 12:24

Also going to try, thanks!

user1494670108 · 19/12/2018 12:25

I'll try these, thanks.
Love a few curls but really struggle to get them.

aintnopartylikeansclubparty · 19/12/2018 12:31

I bought the Dyson Airwrap because I suck so much at curling my hair.

NeverHadANickname · 19/12/2018 12:37

That is just the same method as twisting the straighteners isn't it? Just a different way of wrapping the hair initially.

msnowtybach · 19/12/2018 12:43

It does look straightforward but I still can't be arsed.

HappenstanceMarmite · 19/12/2018 14:09

That is just the same method as twisting the straighteners isn't it? Just a different way of wrapping the hair initially.

I guess so, yes. Maybe it’s a brain thing, but I can do it this way, but not the twisty wristy thing 🤷🏼‍♀️

OP posts:
HappenstanceMarmite · 19/12/2018 14:11

I bought the Dyson Airwrap because I suck so much at curling my hair.

That was where I was headed too. But I can’t get my head around the cost of the Airwrap 😳. How are you finding it?

OP posts:
NeverHadANickname · 19/12/2018 14:30

Oh I see, I thought it was different at first. I'll give it a go. I can curl my hair the twisty way but every so often get a length of hair that just will not curl.

EnidButton · 19/12/2018 15:32

Going to try this later thank you! I can't do the usual method either. No matter how hard I try my brain just won't compute. I have two different wands that are good but the waves in the video look great.

ChristineBaskets · 19/12/2018 15:37

Thanks op, I will definitely be trying this when my hair's long enough for waves!

winsinbin · 19/12/2018 22:12

I love the AirWrap. It gives beautiful flicks and curls but they don’t last long. If you wash your hair everyday that would be fine but I prefer to wash less often so I have one gorgeous day, one ok day and then a couple of mediocre days. But I still love it because it makes my hair so shiny.

HappenstanceMarmite · 19/12/2018 23:55

winsinbin I would not be happy if I had to wash my hair every day either. I can get several days out of it by using dry shampoo on the roots. I usually only have to curl it on day one/possibly day two touch up, so I’m hoping these GHD curls I did this morning hold up.

OP posts:
DatsunCogs · 21/12/2018 19:45

Update! - I had a go and it was pretty easy and looked good too (although I couldn't be bothered to do the back)

Tigger001 · 21/12/2018 20:24

Definitely something to try. I have all the contraptions to get a lovely wavey curl, but it never works

HappenstanceMarmite · 21/12/2018 20:50

Well done Datsun!

OP posts:
EnidButton · 21/12/2018 22:46

Glad it came out well Datsun! Anyone else had a go? It's been pouring heavily for days here so I haven't tried it yet. Rain makes my hair go pouffy unless I squash under my coat so it would've been a waste.
Might try it for Boxing Day.

iamthewalrusgoogoogjoob · 23/12/2018 22:37

I tried it but all I got was a limp wave. Don't know what I did wrong

WardrobeInCrisis · 24/12/2018 06:21

Watching this to try when I have the chance!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

HappenstanceMarmite · 24/12/2018 09:37

I did it again yesterday and was even better result.

iamthewalrus... The first time I tried it I had the video on the whole time...even replayed most useful sections as I was trying it. Although much simpler, there are still steps to follow and I often forgot a step along the way. But after a few fails it did all come together. I’d give it another go if I were you, this time replaying the technique a few times. The third time I did it - last night - I didn’t need the video at all.

OP posts:
iamthewalrusgoogoogjoob · 30/12/2018 01:41

Forgot to tell you about the airwrap. I initially bought it for the curling ability but have used it more for the volume brush. The volume I can get with it is fantastic. I have a Big Hair Styler thing but it doesn't compare. My hair is very fine and the airwrap is much better at getting 'grip' and leaves it way smoother. The Big Hair gives some volume but lots of fluff.

Curling I am still playing with. It definitely curls well, but I need to find the right product to fight frizz. Usually I straighten my hair before curling. With the airwrap it's not terribly frizzy but it could be smoother.

The smoothing brushes work well and give a nice professional blow dry look, I can go out without straightening my hair with my GHD after using them. (Which is saying something with my frizz.)

The hairdryer itself I really like. My hair dries quicker and seems less damaged. However I would love if it came with a nozzle like the dedicated hairdryer so I could control the direction of the air flow.

Pinkvici22 · 30/12/2018 08:06

I’ll give this a try, thanks

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.