My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Top for 'jeans and a nice top' outfit help

12 replies

Daisypod · 27/11/2018 13:48

Out with friends for pre Christmas drinks at the weekend and even though I am early 40's I have never been able to dress for an occasion like this. I always end up in reasonable jeans and a logo/band t shirt as that's what I have been comfortable in and too scared to do anything else, it has been my uniform for the past 25 years!
So I want to wear nice new black jeans but need help finding a top.
I am a size 18-20 and very lumpy 🙁 so it needs to be at least hip length and not clingy. I will also need to be able to wear a decent bra as an F cup, so nothing strapped.
I want to look stylish and a bit trendy but everyone find in shops doesn't seem right.
I am so fed up of wha I usually wear please help!

OP posts:
CrazySheepLady · 27/11/2018 14:56

How about something like this - a simple shape, flattering on bigger boobs because of the v-neck, doesn't look clingy.

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_33678+05788550_-1

I just searched Debenhams website for going out tops. Seen a few I want now, too!

BusterGonad · 27/11/2018 15:02

What style of jeans do you wear? That would give a good idea as to what top would look nice.

Daisypod · 27/11/2018 15:41

Thanks @CrazySheepLady but I worry that might look a bit old (sorry if that offends 🙁)

@BusterGonad usually straight leg or skinny but not mega skinny. My legs aren't too bad and I am 5' 9 So quite long legs and I will be wearing flats.

OP posts:
ThisCharmingMam · 27/11/2018 15:45

What about ASDA? They are doing well with their George range recently 😍

Daisypod · 27/11/2018 15:51

Oh I like the second one @ThisCharmingMam off to Asda later!

OP posts:
BusterGonad · 27/11/2018 16:02

That Asda one looks nice, good length too!

Helpmepleasenow48 · 27/11/2018 16:20

What is your budget. Three years ago I bought a gold lace long sleeved top from Boden. It was £99 got it 20% discount. Wasn't sure thought it might be a bit meh! I've just got it back from the dry cleaners this morning and it's getting ready for its third seaons. It goes with so many things including jeans. I saw this and it would be what I would buy if I needed to replace it. I'm not big Boden fan but this top is just on right side of sparkly- will try and find a pic of the one I have
www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-partywear/tops-t-shirts/w0257-nav/womens-navy-emmy-sequin-top

ElspethFlashman · 27/11/2018 16:24

Loads in Wallis today. Absolutely loads!

Lidlfix · 27/11/2018 16:26

I suggest this top all threads where posters are looking for non clingy tops to wear with jeans. I think a blazer style jacket or dressy cardigan can be more elongating that a a top with jeans. I am 5,7 it's hip length on me.

Daisypod · 27/11/2018 16:31

Thanks @Helpmepleasenow48 but biggest size available is 14.
@Lidlfix I don't think I would get away with my big scaffolding bra under that.
See I am not easy to shop for!

OP posts:
Lidlfix · 27/11/2018 17:39

What about this black and red are nice? Lace skims over lumps and bumps and is festive

Roobub · 27/11/2018 21:46

This one looks like it would be very flattering!

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_028030332292_-1

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.