My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Help me sort out my hands and nails for winter

12 replies

TheMarbleFaun · 04/10/2018 20:27

Had a gel manicure removed about 6 weeks ago & I feel like my nails are dull and weakened and the skin around them is dry & cracking (doesn’t help that I pick at it too!) Any tips and product recommendations welcome!

OP posts:
70isaLimitNotaTarget · 04/10/2018 20:47

solar oil for the nails
body shop hemp or l'occitane shea handcream
cotton gloves for night after you've slathered on the cream

TheMarbleFaun · 04/10/2018 20:49

Thanks 70
What’s solar oil?

OP posts:
IHaveBrilloHair · 04/10/2018 20:54

Astral cream, cheap as chips and amazing.
Also, buff and file your nails.

Arealhumanbeing · 04/10/2018 23:43

Solar oil is a treatment oil for nails and cuticles. It comes in a large spherical bottle.

Rub it in twice a day and follow with hand cream. It’s very good!

MissLadyM · 04/10/2018 23:56

My hands are one of my best features. The brand of hand cream doesn't matter, just apply it very regularly. Use any cheap oil every night. Use a clear, nourishing base coat to protect them. DON'T be tempted to over buff!

TracyBeakerSoYeah · 05/10/2018 20:09

If you do the washing up then these gloves are the bees knees for protecting hands & nails.
www.lakeland.co.uk/21179/Medium-Deluxe-Moisturising-Washing-Up-Gloves

Candlelights2345 · 05/10/2018 21:24

I’m the same, nails completely trashed from a glitter gel polish. I’m using solar oil and this ( see pic). It’s the only hand cream which seems to strengthen my nails (pink Vaseline hand cream)

Help me sort out my hands and nails for winter
TheMarbleFaun · 06/10/2018 08:15

I have buffed my nails and used some hand cream with cotton gloves and that seems to have helped a lot

OP posts:
Fluffycloudland77 · 06/10/2018 08:47

Don't buff at home, nails are only 100 layers or so, you can remove a third by buffing. Strong nails are thick nails.

dudsville · 06/10/2018 08:55

I'd suggest trimming them short, literally cut your losses. Take the vitamin for skin hair and nails. Use rich hand cream throughout the day anytime your hands have got wet, and focus on your cuticles and nail beds when you do. Then a very rich moisturiser at night as you're doing with your gloves. Stop picking your cuticles. If anything is sticking up you can use clippers to get it off.

dudsville · 06/10/2018 08:56

Ooh and nails take weeks to grow so you're gods to be starting ahead.

What2donow4 · 06/10/2018 11:34

My nails are ok, but no matter what I do my cuticles remain dry and cling to the nails so look messy and awful as there is never a neat edge. I've use Avoplex oil, handcreams, etc, has anyone have any ideas?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.