My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Piercing advice please!

17 replies

isitwinetimeyet16 · 27/09/2018 18:22

Hello,

I have one (boring standard) lobe piercing in each ear but have decided to get some more tomorrow!
Can anyone advise what would be good for a bit of a novice?! I know it's personal choice etc but I'm worried I'll get overexcited and come out with an earful! Anyone got a 'curated ear' (very Maria Tash) they'd like to show off?!
Is it still better to have an odd number in one ear and even in another so they're not too matchy?!

OP posts:
sunshineandshowers21 · 27/09/2018 18:32

i have my lobes x4, tragus, daith, cartilage x2, and forward helix in my right ear and lobes x4 in my left. you can get such pretty jewellery nowadays - i have silver with opals at the moment. the only thing to consider is healing time. my cartilage piercing is nearly five months old and still quite sore. i also couldn’t wear in ear headphones whilst my tragus and daith were healing.

isitwinetimeyet16 · 27/09/2018 18:54

That's v helpful, thanks! Where do you get the tiny studs from?

OP posts:
sunshineandshowers21 · 27/09/2018 19:06

when i first had them changed i went back to the piercing studio where i had them done and they changed them for me because they were quite stiff and fiddly. now though i can change them quickly by myself - it just takes some getting used to. i generally get them from amazon, etsy, local piercing/tattoo studios, and a website called piercing mania.

GrimDamnFanjo · 28/09/2018 00:13

I have curated ears! (Never heard that phrase before!)
All rose gold BVLA designs via Nicole at Love Hate Social Club.
I had only 2 lobes until I was 45 and now have:
Left: x 2 conch, top flat (still healing)
Right: forward helix, helix x 2
Here are some pix: my ears are a bit red as they were taken right after a couple of piercings!

Piercing advice please!
Piercing advice please!
Piercing advice please!
GrimDamnFanjo · 28/09/2018 00:18

Forgot to add that a reputable pitcher would only pierce 3 max at any one time and often within a space of a few months.
A forward helix or a helix are good starter piercings but its a personal choice. Mine for example can be covered by my hair if I'm ina more conservative setting.

GrimDamnFanjo · 28/09/2018 00:22

Also anatomy can dictate your piercings as everyone's ears are different.
At the moment I'm nearly 4 months healing two and it's been a bit of a trial so I'm happy for no more for a while. Once they've healed I'll be back for another no doubt.
My piercer was a great help in planning my ear space for future additions!

MrsRubyMonday · 28/09/2018 01:09

I have lobes both sides but then all my weird piercings on one side. My favourites are either my migraine piercing or my tragus and surface tragus combination.

isitwinetimeyet16 · 28/09/2018 06:55

@GrimDamnFanjo thanks so much for the pictures! They look beautiful. How long have they taken to heal?

OP posts:
isitwinetimeyet16 · 28/09/2018 07:03

@MrsRubyMonday that is good to know re different sides!

OP posts:
QueenofLouisiana · 28/09/2018 07:34

Here are my curated ears Grin. I love them all.
My cartilage took the longest to heal, about 11 months before I could get tge hoop put in (pierced with a diamond stud with a flat back).
The faith was much easier than I imagined, healed easily within about 6 months. I think that’s my favourite piercing.

Piercing advice please!
Piercing advice please!
isitwinetimeyet16 · 28/09/2018 09:42

@QueenofLouisiana they're beautiful!

OP posts:
batshite1 · 28/09/2018 09:48

I started a similar thread a few months ago & I am obsesssed now. Only ever had 1 lobe piercing & after the thread I got another lobe done on each ear. I wanted to take my time. Tmw I’m having a 3rd lobe hole on my right ear & eventually would like 1 or 2 helix piercings again on the right ear. i’m just a little put off by the healing time & discomfort.

isitwinetimeyet16 · 28/09/2018 11:27

@batshite1 ah have you got a link to your thread? How have you found healing time with the lobe piercing? I thought it wouldn't be as bad as the cartilage ones?

OP posts:
partypeople · 28/09/2018 11:33

I had my second lobes done earlier this year, after years and years of only having the single bog standard lobe piercing on either side. I came away slightly hooked too! I'm going to go in soon to get my third set of lobes. And maybe even a fourth at the same time.

Re: odd/even number of piercings - I'm very much a fan of symmetry, and I think it would crush my soul ever so slightly to have an odd number of piercings. My thinking is that I can always go odd/even when actually wearing earrings, but at least I'd have the holes. I'm weird like that Grin.

The only thing that gives me pause is healing times and the general discomfort - lobe piercings are among the easier healers, but it's still a bit of a faff to avoid sleeping on your side or wearing headphones for however long it takes.

isitwinetimeyet16 · 28/09/2018 12:10

Argh just went in and they wouldn't pierce me as I'm still breastfeeding! It didn't even occur to me it would be an issue! Ah well....will save for a few months!

OP posts:
70isaLimitNotaTarget · 28/09/2018 16:27

My DD is 16 now - her ear-piercing history:

End of Yr 6 , got both ears done (L+R lobes)
End of Yr 7 , got L 2nd
End of Yr 8 got R2 L3

Took her newest ones out a tad early and had loads of problems with L3 and after a year , took it out to heal

About 2 years ago had her R cartilidge (helix) done , healed fine , got caught at hairdressers (ouch) eventually she gave up on that and removed it.
About a year ago had her R tragus , healed really well, very pretty tiny stud (from MetalMorphosis but her piercing was done locally -needle)

Her latest - belly button. Healing nicely and she is able to flaunt her flat tummy Grin

TacoFlavouredKisses · 28/09/2018 17:08

I'm a minimalist Grin Both lobes once, tragus pierced on my left ear (hoop initially then changed to tiny labret) and rook done on my right (hoop to tiny banana bar) - both went a bit crusty and yuck but healed really quickly when I started soaking them with boiled salt water. Have one other body piercing which is very much hidden Grin

Queen I luffs your daith hoop 😍

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.