My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Scented Candles for the house

66 replies

SoTiredNeedHoliday · 23/09/2018 09:34

Hi I'm looking for a scented candle for the house to make it feel fresh and nice in these colder months.

I've used white company the last few years but I was disappointed last year as they didn't burn evenly and therefore lasted a lot short time, plus they are ££££

Anone have an others they 'swear by'?

thx

OP posts:
SunnySomer · 23/09/2018 09:42

I was given a Jo Malone one for my birthday last year which burned beautifully- you could light it for a bit, and the wick didn’t go stumpy and difficult to relight (which is what I’ve found white company ones do). Also Diptique ones have been good.

8FencingWire · 23/09/2018 09:45

True Grace. You find them in John Lewis, the tin ones are about £20 I think. I just got the rose and the camomille ones.

DowntonCrabby · 23/09/2018 09:47

Adore Jo Molone but I wouldn’t spend the £££ on having one all the time. Once a year is a lovely treat though.

DH bought me a NEOM from John Lewis and it’s really lovely. I think around £40 for the 3 wick.

Skye candle co. candles are gorgeous- £20ish

princesstiasmum · 23/09/2018 10:19

I use Yankee candles,the jasmine ones are lovely, so are the lemon and lavender,lots of different choices though, some are very christmassy coming out just now, and Clinton cards have offers on every month of a certain one,
Wilkinsons and Sainsbury also sell them now

Knowivedonewrong · 23/09/2018 11:25

Same as princess. I use Yankee Candles. We have dogs, so helps keep smells at bay. I buy mine off Groupon in bulk. They have some reasonable offers.

zippyswife · 23/09/2018 11:28

Wasn’t there a thread recently saying the primark jo malone dupes were good?

Neonyellow · 23/09/2018 11:28

Seven seventeen candles are great

Nowisthemonthofmaying · 23/09/2018 11:29

Another vote for Neom here - they smell wonderful and last a long time. Worth the money.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza · 23/09/2018 11:31

If you are having trouble with tunnelling, are you burning the candles for long enough? For a big White Company candle, you need to let it burn 4-6 hours. Wax has a “memory” and if you only let it burn for an hour or so at a time, not long enough to let the whole surface melt, you are going to get tunnelling problems/lose the wick/the candle will have a much shorter life than it should.

If you don’t want to burn candles that long, you should try to buy smaller ones always! Smile

Namethecat · 23/09/2018 11:32

Not going to suggest brands ( as I'm still looking for a great one ) but in the spring / summer I like clean / or floral smells but for autumn / winter it has to be a more cosy aroma.

Elledorado · 23/09/2018 11:37

My fave are Jo Malone. Havent tried the Yankee candles though.

princesstiasmum · 23/09/2018 11:59

I had one of my sons staying with me for a few months, and when he lef his bedroom stank of cigarette smoke,
I lit one small yankee candle in there and i couldnt believe the horrible smell had completely gone
I also burn the tartletts , they are lovely too, but after a couple of lightings the scent doesnt last
I always have a candle lit downstairs as i have 3 cats and a dog, so dont like the thought of smelly rooms,even though the animals are very clean

PelvicFloorClenchReminder · 23/09/2018 12:34

I bought a gingerbread scented candle from Dunelm Mill last week. It smells absolutely delicious and was only £1. I haven't lit it yet though, and might not bother, in case burning its wick exposes its innate cheapness in olfactory dissatisfaction. I may well just enjoy the warm, buttery, spicy hit when I come through the front door until Springtime and then put it away for next year. If it lasts that long.

Ellapaella · 23/09/2018 13:12

Park Minster candles are lovely, burn well and have some lovely smells.

Butterflycookie · 23/09/2018 13:16

I’ve also heard neom candles are good

AnythingButMagnolia · 23/09/2018 13:18

I have had Jo Malone in the past but now but the Aldi dupes which I think are a really good alternative.

Thesearmsofmine · 23/09/2018 13:21

I find the Aldi candles are fab, I love the Fig one.

MinorRSole · 23/09/2018 13:30

I use PartyLite ones, they burn evenly and are cheaper than some others (generally pay about £30-£35 for 2 of the 3 wick candles)
They last well, I'm totally hooked if I'm honest and I think the rep likes me a lot BlushGrin

TantricTwist · 23/09/2018 14:06

I use those reed sticks in fragrance, much more practical and last ages and so many gorgeous smelling ones out there.

Local boutique type shops always seem to sell good ones.

SweetPeaPods · 23/09/2018 14:10

Asda have a pretty good range. They do Yankee candle and fake jo malone and wood-wick. My favourite is lily flame.

EnidButton · 23/09/2018 14:43

I have the blackberry and bay from Jo Malone and the Aldi copy and there's honestly barely any difference in scent. Plus the JM one doesn't have the wick in the centre so it keeps tunnelling. If anyone loves the scent of those I'd definitely recommend trying the Aldi one.

I've gone off the scent now though so looking out for something else. Gingerbread sounds very nice.

bebesequin · 23/09/2018 15:59

I was an absolute candle snob.
But one too many Jo Malone's that didn't burn evenly.

Converted to Aldi - the Pomegranate is so Christmassy
I filled the house with them last year.

The Peony one also nice but the Pear and freesia is good for kitchen smells.

For £3.99 can't go wrong.

Neom , Arran Aromatics and Ginger Creatures are also lovely if you have the money to burn.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

EnidButton · 23/09/2018 22:26

bebe After a quick google I was starting to think it was just me with the uneven Jo Makone candles! It's happened 3 times now, so not getting any more. Sorry you had the same issue but glad it's a thing and not just bad luck.

EnidButton · 23/09/2018 22:27

*Malone

I like the spicy ones that are around at this time of year but hate cloves and so many seem to add that scent.

ggirl · 23/09/2018 22:31

St Eval are lovely , especially bay and rosemary.
Neom also gorgeous but spendy

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.