My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

What to wear with culottes?

18 replies

Dancergirl · 13/09/2018 13:11

I bought a pair of heavy jersey black culottes a while ago to wear when the weather starts turning.

What should I wear them with in terms of shoes/boots etc? And wear with tights or bare legs?

OP posts:
Liskee · 13/09/2018 13:12

I'm having this conundrum! I have a jumpsuit with culottes legs for a wedding, but the change in weather has left me thinking shoes or boots?!

CountFosco · 13/09/2018 13:22

I have navy cullottes on today. Wearing them with a purple slogan t-shirt tucked in and cobalt blue loafer mules. No tights but it's 17C so I don't need them because I'm short and the cullottes are skimming my ankles (thinking about getting them taken up).

Depending on the length of them they might look better with knee high boots once it gets cooler, I think it really depends how long they are then wear the same kind of footwear you'd wear with a skirt that length.

Dancergirl · 15/09/2018 21:53

So with no gap between bottom of culottes and boots?

OP posts:
CountFosco · 16/09/2018 07:45

I think no gap with knee high boots but with ankle boots you need a gap. Mine don't look right with ankle boots or trainers or brogues at the moment but look OK with loafers because you see more skin. So I'm going to shorten them and then buy snazzy knee high socks to wear with brogues when it gets cooler. I'm going for clown chic Grin.

nancybelle · 16/09/2018 08:56

I think the gap is necessary. Any time I have tried them with boots my partner says I look like a pirate and not in a good way!

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 16/09/2018 10:50

I'm wearing them with big hole fishnets and trainers at the moment.

They also work with heeled ankle boots with a gap between the culottes and the top of the boot (with bare legs, fishnets or thin opaques), but I haven't found anything else that seems to work.

CarpeVitam · 16/09/2018 14:05

Following with interest as I have some winter weight culottes and I'm clueless as to what footwear will look good!

Floisme · 16/09/2018 14:29

I tried them with boots last winter but just couldn't get into it. It's that flash of skin - or at a pinch, of fishnet - that makes them work for me. There's no logic to it as I like a midi skirt and boots but there it is.

Dancergirl · 20/09/2018 16:55

What about with ankle boots and tights?

OP posts:
Judydreamsofhorses · 20/09/2018 20:01

I bought a load of holey tights last year - some standard fishnets, some a bit fancier - and wore them with brogues or trainers. I agree that they need the gap, they look daft with opaques. I got some coloured crocheted/fishnet tights too (dark wine, grey) which worked really well with flat Chelsea boots with them. I actually saw a woman today wearing skin coloured tights with a pair and it looked okay from a distance, but close up the tights were far too “tan” for her and also too heavy.

Giggorata · 21/09/2018 08:09

Please would someone post a few pics? I am not sure which style of culottes are being described here..
I have found some, but need some pictorial inspiration!

CarpeVitam · 21/09/2018 19:12

Ditto, would be interested to see some pics

321zerobaby · 24/09/2018 09:52

I was going to start a culottes thread, but found this so thought I would add to it.
I usually wear knee length skirts/ dresses, I am a curvy hourglass, think Kelly Brook proportions but shorter!
So could I wear culottes, thinking with heeled knee high boots? Probably shorter length, not ankle. Been skimming instagram but not many boots combos around yet. Pics would be great if anyone has found some?

MoltonSilver · 24/09/2018 10:15

"Any time I have tried them with boots my partner says I look like a pirate and not in a good way!"

I'd be interested to know what the good way of looking like a pirate is Grin

MoltonSilver · 24/09/2018 10:23

I think these both look well.

321zerobaby · 24/09/2018 10:47

Found an old Cosmo article that says curvy should go for shorter, now to try and find a pair...Cosmo article if you're interested

ChishandFips33 · 24/09/2018 22:40

I'm wearing mine like Molton's pics

GemmeFatale · 25/09/2018 00:36

Oddly enough Molton I have a couple of outfits that make me feel a bit ‘cool lady pirate’. I don’t usually tell people that but it’s there in my head BlushGrin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.