My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Any Avon recommendations or steer clear?

25 replies

YouCantCallMeBetty · 23/08/2018 15:25

My NDN has just started selling for Avon and has given me a catalogue. I do want a few new bits of make up so would be happy to buy from them but don't want to waste money if they're rubbish.
Any recommendations? I found a few threads about this but all a few years old so wondered if anyone has any up to date experience? I think Sali Hughes has recommended one of their moisturisers recently...

OP posts:
donajimena · 23/08/2018 15:28

I love Avon. I like their Anew foundation and Magix primer but the make up in general is good quality. I don't buy body or hair products so can't comment on that.
The mineral powder is good too.

donajimena · 23/08/2018 15:30

I told a fib. I have used Anew moisturiser too. I like it. It doesn't ball up on application.

champagneplanet · 23/08/2018 15:31

The nail polish is very good, I get at least a couple of days before it chips and that's good for me.

DontCallMeCharlotte · 23/08/2018 16:09

Agree nail polish is good, as is Magix Primer.

I also really like their Glimmerstick gel eyeliners - they work very well for "tightlining" (although not the glittery ones obvs!).

FinallyHere · 23/08/2018 16:37

I don't usually buy anything from Avon, but make an exception for their skin so soft original dry body oil, to keep mozzies and biting insects off me, especially on holiday.

Cakefairy1978 · 23/08/2018 18:47

Far away perfume is nice

emma6776 · 23/08/2018 18:52

Skin so Soft is my fave body lotion (with the added advantage of repelling mozzies).

ScreamingValenta · 23/08/2018 18:56

The hand wash is nice.

Talisin · 23/08/2018 19:00

Anew Reversalist Infinite Effects Night Treatment Cream has been a game changer for me (and yes, it’s a ridiculously long name). Also the Little Black Dress EDP is rather nice.

VikingVolva · 23/08/2018 19:35

It's no longer a cruelty-free company.

AuntieStella · 23/08/2018 19:38

The nail varnish is very good.

As is the 'So Soft' body range.

I love the Magix primer.

And the big bottles of bubble bath are good too.

misskatamari · 23/08/2018 19:39

I got some lovely matte lip gloss things recently - mark something or other. The staying power isn't super long lasting but they look great and come in some lovely colours

MarthaArthur · 23/08/2018 19:41

I love avon. My best friends a rep so i get loads of make up and skin stuff. Not sure what ones to specifically recoment other than skin so soft.

YouCantCallMeBetty · 23/08/2018 23:26

Thanks everyone, some great recommendations 👍🏻 Re being cruelty free, as far as I can make out from the somewhat confusing statement on their website, Avon products are tested on animals by China in order to comply with the law there. So Avon cannot say they are cruelty free because they allow their products to be tested in order to sell in China.

OP posts:
HildaZelda · 24/08/2018 10:59

My MIL used to do Avon a few years ago. I found the make up pretty rubbish to be honest, but maybe it's improved since? The shower gels and handwash weren't bad and always seemed to be on offer.
I got some nice bots of jewellery over the years too.

Ploppymoodypants · 24/08/2018 21:38

The magix primer spray Is amazing. As good as the MAC one at a quarter of the price. Made my cheap boots No. 7 foundation stay on all day when usually rubbed off by 11am.

foxtiger · 24/08/2018 21:58

I like their Supershock mascara (the original one, not Supershock Max, which has a not so good brush IMO). It's often on special offer at about £5 and is as good as any I've tried. I used to rate their shampoo and conditioner for extra volume but I'm not sure if they still do it (I've been using another brand lately because it was cheap).

Unexpectedbaby · 24/08/2018 22:02

The Anew night cream. Can't remember what it is called but it's the one with 2 pumps each containing a different cream. Use one for a week then the other, then switch back.

Incredible. I work for a premium skincare brand and this blow any other night cream I have use out of the water!

DextroDependant · 24/08/2018 22:05

I like the glimmer sticks eyeliner, the Max mascara and the everlast concealer.

I don't like the eyeshadows, poor pigmentation. The setting spray, felt gritty on my face. The lipsticks don't last very long.

Deathraystare · 25/08/2018 15:34

They used to sell really good perfumes decades ago, but not now. I really miss Occur, unforgettable, Moonwind etc but it is all samey samey vanilla shite.

Deathraystare · 25/08/2018 15:35

However I did get some nice jewellery and bras from them.

leccybill · 25/08/2018 15:42

I like the 3 in 1 compact and the kids bubble baths and detangling spray.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

HoundOfTheBasketballs · 25/08/2018 15:45

Ah, I used to love Avon, good value and not half bad quality. But now they test on animals so I don't buy from them anymore. Sad

Goandplay · 25/08/2018 15:47

Glimmer stick eyeliners
The make up brushes are on par with the Bobbi Brown / MAC brushes so far
I use the verbena shampoo and conditioner love the smell
The cream/foundation compact it so good

I like their products and mix them in with my usual brands no problem. I normally use Bobbi Brown.

NymphInYellow · 25/08/2018 15:52

The Skin So Soft dry oil spray sorted out my dry, cracked skin after many other moisturising creams failed. I've had a few bits- nail varnish lip gloss, the glimmerstick mentioned upthread. Pleased with it all and there are often sales.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.