My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

I have found my nail Holy Grail

2 replies

mommybunny · 14/08/2018 09:12

I can’t get my nails to look decent without polish on them, but “normal” polish chips and flakes off after a couple of days. I have neither the time nor the money to go for regular gel manicures, even putting aside the horrific damage they do to your nails.

When I was last in the US I bought a Deborah Lippmann Gel Lab base and top coat kit, and stuck it in a drawer. A couple of months ago I broke it out for a special occasion and was amazed that a week later the manicure was still decently holding up. It also dried quickly to a high shine finish (I did my toes half an hour before bed and no sheet prints!). I started using it regularly and my nails have been transformed.

Just to prove I am not working for the company, the best combination of products - the combination that lasts the longest - is Essie Gel Couture colours (the twirly bottles) with the Deborah Lippmann base and top coats. Essie does a top coat for the Gel Couture but it doesn’t dry as quickly or last as long. Deborah Lippmann do colours but again, they start chipping earlier.

I now do my nails once a week - takes me about half an hour start to finish - and am so happy that they look so groomed. The products are expensive (and the Deborah Lippmann is difficult to get in the U.K. - I had to find a replacement on eBay which cost over £40), but against salon manicures it is a bargain.

One very important thing I have learned is that, to avoid damage to your nails, you must NEVER pick the polish off if it does start to chip. Normal polish remover does the job quickly.

Now if I can only get DL to retail in the U.K.!

OP posts:
Baumederose · 14/08/2018 09:16

Um...DL retails in the UK already and it's very easy to get online

You were ripped off with the 40. Even Harrods do the same set for 22 quid

mommybunny · 14/08/2018 09:58

Gah! I searched for days and couldn’t find it Angry. Will look in Harrods online next time I run out.

Would be great if Boots stocked it though!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.