My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Are french manicures 'cheap looking' and make me 'common'?

100 replies

booksrock · 22/01/2016 08:25

My nails have finally grown to a lovely length and I spent ages yesterday giving myself a French manicure look, with white tips. I thought it looked ok considering I did it all myself. All natural, no plastic or artificial things added, just paint.

However I was reading today that its a dated and 'chavy' look - is this true? I was going for elegant and classic looking! What is classy on nails?

OP posts:
Scarletforya · 22/01/2016 18:49

Dated.

GnomeWare · 22/01/2016 19:11

Tbh I think the classiest look you can go for is clean, shortish, filed to a natural shape with no polish for work.

Anything that makes you look like you hang out in nail bars and then post pics of your chubby painted paws on FB in tribute your stylist is to be avoided.

CocktailQueen · 22/01/2016 19:38

I like french manicures! Classy, professional, neat, understated. I hate gel nails in general and the different colour on the ring finger is horrible!

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers · 22/01/2016 19:44

I think just a nude colour all over is the best for work. French manicure is a bit dated I think.

I occasionally have mine done in a dark red, but it looks tatty so quickly - I did try gel polish last year and while it looked good and lasted really well, it absolutely wrecked my nails so I won't be doing it again.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes · 22/01/2016 20:01

Agree with many pps, this is a gel one I had a couple of years ago and liked, but I don't like the very long, square, tippex-white versions.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit · 22/01/2016 20:16

WilLiAmHerschel you're not the only one!

I've never worn make-up or had my nails done. Occasionally I come across a thread like this and I'm like a rabbit in the headlights, it's a totally alien world to me!

Kennington · 22/01/2016 20:19

French manicures remind me of the 80s when all the mums had one. They arent very elegant.
I just wonder how people wipe their bottoms with some of the nail tips on this thread? One slip and a tear could happen. Let alone tampon application.

KoalaDownUnder · 22/01/2016 20:24

Ooh, see, those ones that betterinabox posted? Also yuck.

I do not like that almondy shape at all.

I think they need to be shorter and more straight-across (without being squared-off with a horrible sharp corner).

It's a minefield! Grin

TrollTheRespawnJeremy · 22/01/2016 21:52

betterinabox almond nails look totally unnatural - the white isn't right.

I tried doing a google image search but they're all 'nail bar' style and not natural looking at all.

Less is more!

itsbetterthanabox · 22/01/2016 22:03

The almond ones aren't meant to look natural!

Eminado · 22/01/2016 22:13

alibaba how did gel ruin your nails? I was planning to try it.

Devora · 23/01/2016 00:11

I'm agreeing with those who say just use the pink colour all over - or a greigey or dark colour. Nails should be shortish and rounded off.

BUT can I remind you all of the real lurking horror here: French manicure toenails?

Devora · 23/01/2016 00:14

Or is that French pedicure? Anyway, I hate them.

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AFrench_pedicure.jpg

HolditFinger · 23/01/2016 00:21

I used to love French manicures before all the false nails/monster acrylic peeps adopted it as their go-to look in the early 2000s. Before then it was quite understated and elegant.

Because I've always had really good nails naturally, I don't paint them obvious colours as inevitably, I get asked if they're mine. Confused

Notso · 23/01/2016 00:22

I quite like a French manicure on normal nails. The tips of mine are quite white anyway.

When I was getting my shellac removed everyone else in the nail place had eithe coffin shaped or that horrible really pointed claw shape. Vile IMO.

itsbetterthanabox · 23/01/2016 00:26

A French pedi can be nice if its a very thin white. From a distance which is mostly how we see toes it looks like really healthy bare nails.

UntilTheCowsComeHome · 23/01/2016 01:46

My sensible, elastic-waist slack wearing, no fuss hair, no jewellery wearing MIL treated herself to French manicure false nails once.

They were horrific. I politely mmmed and said they were lovely. DH said "fucks sake mum you've got stripper tips!" Grin

PastaLaFeasta · 23/01/2016 02:33

American manicure us like French but more subtle, less bright white at the tips so a bit more natural. I've been using a single coat of Essie limo-scene and it's a lovely milky white which allows the pink to show through for a more subtle look. Better for not showing up the chips so easily too, I can never keep chip free for long.

VulcanWoman · 23/01/2016 08:56

I like them and don't care if they aren't 'in'. Don't like the new pointy ones, even if they're 'in'.

hefzi · 23/01/2016 12:26

I'm shocked to read that a different colour on your ring finger is now "in": that was my go-to "look" in 1996 - I used to live and work in a research institute, and the director took great delight in checking my colour combinations over breakfast Grin

20 years later, I don't paint my nails at all...

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes · 23/01/2016 12:36

The ring finger thing has been done to dearh the last couple of years, I don't like it unless it's extremely subtle eg a very fine glitter topcoat.

Cel982 · 23/01/2016 15:03

I think it's lovely on short nails, as long as the white line is quite thin.

Had to Google 'almond' and 'ballerina' nails - now they scream 'dated' to me!

flowery · 23/01/2016 16:00

I usually have a French manicure, and usually quite long, although less so at the moment. Surely if you liked it before you read about it being 'dated' then you like it OP? Why worry about what anyone else thinks? I know I don't!

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers · 23/01/2016 16:14

Eminado they have to dry the nail out before applying the gel polish otherwise it just lifts off after a few days. That combined with the 'cooking' process to bake them on and then the same to get the polish off just ruined them. It has taken two months of daily use of nail oil and keeping them really short to stop the cracking and flaking.

ProjectPerfect · 23/01/2016 16:16

I remember a friend getting a French manicure for her graduation in 1999 and us all agreeing it looked dated Confused

And my 60+ year old mother has been getting her ring finger painted a second shade by the salon in her very small town for at least 3 years so I think it's fair to say the look is done Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.