My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Shoes, please! Am confined to compression stockings for the summer...

37 replies

GreenEggsAndNichts · 11/05/2012 14:04

As the topic says: I've been diagnosed with a DVT in my leg, and have to wear compression stockings now . I'm generally happy in jeans etc, but in the summer months I do usually break out the skirts and dresses. I'll have to wear these for two years so it'll be worth finding a nice pair (or two or three) of shoes which can be worn with black stockings and a skirt or dress.

I know for most of you this request probably sounds silly, but in the summer I'm usually in sandals, etc, and in the winter I wear tall boots with tights or leggings. I've not 'done' shoes with black stockings and a skirt before, and I'd love some ideas please.

I'm 35 years old, tend to wear dark colours (might border on the gothy if I'm honest, but really just a border Wink, have black hair and pale skin so I think it's just my natural look). So, I'd be happy with something a bit funky, in fact I might as well as the stupid stockings are going to look so silly during warmer months anyway. I am, however, also open to looking at flats.. as much as I dislike them.

So please, help! Grin Am off to read my son a book, will check this in a little bit. Thank you so much.

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 14:05
slug · 11/05/2012 15:20

Mrs Lettuce. You are on fire today

MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 15:23

heehee, pleased you think so.

GreenEggsAndNichts · 11/05/2012 15:48

Wow those are amazing Grin I'm very tempted and I don't even have an excuse to wear them at the moment...

Any more suggestions are appreciated. That heel looks like a nice height.

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 16:10

Of course you do! THey're fine for nipping down the supermarket, no?

MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 16:11

...have an occasion I mean.

GreenEggsAndNichts · 11/05/2012 16:22

Grin True, they're just understated enough.

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 16:34

But, seriously, if you're going to have to wear thick black stockings all summer I think you need to go in for serious statement dressing - sounds like you do a bit anyway. So, plainish dress and kick-ass shoes or some sort of extreme element in the clothing with plainer shoes. Easiest way to them stockings off, am sure of it!

I'd never consider stitching a contrasting seam down the back or anything like that. Obviously

Oh, and I fear this dress may be required for autumn. Is from getcutie.

MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 16:36

...Easiest way to carry them stockings off...

GreenEggsAndNichts · 11/05/2012 16:37

these look cute. I think it's a shade of pink I could live with.

Could use something a bit more casual to wear with a jean skirt though I think..

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 16:45

You wont look like a prat if you dress to the stockings though, you have to try and make it look you mean them IYSWIM.

Not that you have to buy a load of new clothes, but some tings just aren't going to work. 'fraid denim skirt maybe should be off the menu until autumn.

GreenEggsAndNichts · 11/05/2012 16:48

oh just saw your posts. WOW I like that dress Shock

Yes, I'm afraid I'm just going to have to own these stockings, if you know what I mean, which you seem to. Grin At the moment I'm in terrible ones that come up to my knees, which I can put tights or leggings over, but I'm trying to find a way to get a pair of thigh highs as well. Not sure they will give me a prescription for those, though, and the only ones I've seen online have been 100 quid. :(

OP posts:
GreenEggsAndNichts · 11/05/2012 16:51

Simulpost, sorry!

Thanks for the advice, really, I don't usually wear tights/leggings without tall boots (and in colder weather) so it's all new territory to me.

Why doesn't that fabric in the original pic come up when I click the link!

Probably for the best that it doesn't, for now. Grin But wow I like it.

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 16:53

yy, own them, that's what I meant! Couldn't find the phrase!

They might prescribe you know, if you claim significant psychological distress... Got to be worth a try. That said there may well be valid medical reasons not to go thigh high.

In which case you'll need opaque stockings and a proper 6 or 8 suspender strap suspender belt.

MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 16:55

Re getcutie dress - it's 'cause they have loads of delightful prints to choose from and seem to like to choose the worst to show on the site...

GreenEggsAndNichts · 11/05/2012 16:56

I don't suppose you know of a site where I could order a useful belt like that? The only one I have is more for show and not particularly useful.

Unfortunately I'm in the size 18-20 range at the moment, so not always easy to find in that size.

OP posts:
nothingoldcanstay · 11/05/2012 16:57

I have loads of over the knee socks that you can wear with boots of various descriptions.

They look a bit fresher than black tights and look good with smart or short skirts. La redoute, Next and ASOS all good styles and lots in the sale.

MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 17:00

StockingsHQ is the place for proper suspender belts (as well as the lovely-but-useless bedroom ones). THey also do good stockings, natch.

Way cheaper than buying a few pairs of thigh high compression stocking and probably cooler too.

MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 17:02

x posts there I think they go big enough, not sure what measurement equals which size.

GreenEggsAndNichts · 11/05/2012 17:14

hm yes good question, I've no idea if they would replace normal compression stockings. I'm on the lowest level (class 1) , I was just going to look for them in thigh high sizes.

The XL belt would fit, by those measurements. Am considering it now Grin

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 17:16

No, normal stockings wouldn't replace compression stockings, they'd have to go over them...

GreenEggsAndNichts · 11/05/2012 17:18

right. So, find opaque stockings, then put them over. sigh. Sorry for the slow brain.. hell, when I said tights earlier I was meaning I'd put them over the stockings, no idea why I didn't think it there.

Am having fun browsing at the moment at any rate.

OP posts:

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

MrsLettuce · 11/05/2012 17:20

Good!

I'll have a root about for shoes later once the DC are in bed.

You just need to play up the goth / vintage elements in your style and you'll look amazing all summer.

Don't see the stockings as a limitation - make it a style revolution Grin

MadameChinLegs · 11/05/2012 17:20
kbaby · 11/05/2012 17:45

I had to wear them for a few weeks but mine were white soooo.... Could you get white ones then dye them a variety of colours and wear them with dresses so they look a bit like leggings under a dress.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.