My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

I have dress shoes and bag - please please help me find a cardi or wrap

14 replies

Themumsnot · 05/05/2012 15:00

Posh wedding in two weeks time - I am wearing this dress (more purple than it looks in the picture) and this morning I bought these shoes for which I already have a matching bag.
Wedding is afternoon, followed by reception in a marquee, could be chilly. Any thoughts on cardigan or wrap/pashmina thingy? Or both even. I don't like being cold. If the dress is purple and bag and shoes are nude/mink satin, what colour should I go for. And should I paint my nails nude or purple or some other colour? And do I need anything on my head? Please help, it is a smart wedding and I ain't a smart person.

OP posts:
Themumsnot · 05/05/2012 17:57

Would this work with those colours?

OP posts:
Themumsnot · 05/05/2012 18:01

Or this?

OP posts:
ImperialBlether · 05/05/2012 18:19

I love the first shrug.

Themumsnot · 05/05/2012 18:51

So do I. It is a bit ££ though as I blew my budget on the dress! But I have another wedding coming up this year so should get two goes of the outfit (no overlap of guests at all thank goodness). I'm just not sure about the colour - does it need to match the shoes?

OP posts:
Themumsnot · 05/05/2012 21:18

Please take pity on me. The wedding is only two weeks away and the only nice thing I can find is £57 quid. And I'm not even sure if the colour works with the other stuff. I'm begging now. I might even offer chocolate.

Imaginary chocolate, but still...

OP posts:
ifancyashandy · 06/05/2012 09:21

I hate shrugs, wraps or cardinals with smart, sexy dresses. And your dress is both of those. It's lovely! A cardi etc will look like you are scared of the sexiness of the dress and are trying to play it down. It will look frumpy.

Such a tailored dress needs structure. Wear a jacket. Single breasted, slim lapel. Possibly tuxedo style, with satin lapel to glitz it up. And would also tie in with satin on shoes.

ifancyashandy · 06/05/2012 09:27

Or LK Bennett do a cream colorless jacket in their Black Ribbon collection that might work? Would depend on how the necklines work together. Can't do linky thing on phone.

EnjoyResponsibly · 06/05/2012 11:04

How about this, won't break the bank:

www.coast-stores.com/MILLY-METALLIC-WRAP/New-In/coast/fcp-product/7766387941

Hire a hat.

Themumsnot · 06/05/2012 16:11

IFancy - that jacket is lovely, but I have blown the budget already! The thing is I really can only afford to spend £40-£50 and a nice jacket would be way more than that.

I love the wrap, ER, would you do silver or gold? My shoes are what the shop called mink and I would call beige. They look more silver than they are in that photo. Or what about ivory?

OP posts:
EnjoyResponsibly · 07/05/2012 16:52

Not the ivory, its lighter than the picture in RL.

I'd order both the metallics TBH, you can always return one.

Themumsnot · 07/05/2012 17:13

OK, I have ordered the silver one. Thinking about it, the gold would never work with the dress anyway.

OP posts:
tak1ngchances · 07/05/2012 17:48

Just to say, I went to a wedding on Saturday and it was effing freezing. I wore my (smart, dressy) winter coat and boy was I glad. I also had tights on.
The women who were wearing sandals/bare legs and wraps or cardis just looked plain miserable. Blue with cold and covered in goosebumps. Nothing sexy about that.
So be prepared to wrap up warm!!

Themumsnot · 07/05/2012 18:34

Good point. Unfortunately my parka is unlikely to look quite so appropriate.
Any thoughts on this jacket? Wibbling madly now. Have ordered the wrap but am thinking maybe order this too and send back whichever doesn't work as well.

OP posts:
bigpants103 · 07/05/2012 19:19

The jacket would look nice. I went to a wedding last Saturday and it was bloody freezing. Some eople had summer dresses on and some had massive tweed coats and leather gloves on. The weather in England is not forecast as being good for a while yet. Get the jacket and keep warm!!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.