My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

best foundation

18 replies

mellymooks · 07/04/2012 21:01

Right, I am getting married on SATURDAY!!!! I need to find a good foundation, I have pale, dry, slightly eczema-prone skin. I don't normally wear much makeup so I would really like something that feels comfortable, light and breatheable on my skin yet still evens out my skin colour and lasts all day!! Does such a thing exist? Come on MN gurus I need your advice :)

OP posts:
Isaidhangonamin · 07/04/2012 21:03

Estée Lauder double wear. Lasts all day, doesn't rub off on clothes.

Isaidhangonamin · 07/04/2012 21:04

P.s. you can get teeny-tiny samples to take away and test Smile

Isaidhangonamin · 07/04/2012 21:05

P.P.S Good luck Saturday xx

bluejeans · 07/04/2012 21:05

Isaidhangonamin where do you get samples? Thanks

TheCountessOlenska · 07/04/2012 21:07

I just bought some Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich (was advised on here that they had good shades for pale skin) - It is quite light and the colour is a good match for me. I also got some primer (again, on the advice of Mumsnet) which hopefully will make it stay on all day.

Isaidhangonamin · 07/04/2012 21:09

Bluejeans - go to Amy Estée stand in a dept store and ask. They'll "colour match". Great handbag size sample Wink

Isaidhangonamin · 07/04/2012 21:10

Bloomin auto correct.... Blush. *any stand!

bluejeans · 07/04/2012 21:13

Thanks Isaidhangonamin, just Googled and seen there are about 20 different shades [bushock]!

Melly sorry for hijacking, all the best for Sat!

mellymooks · 07/04/2012 21:15

No worries!! Tis a minefield, that's why I've come to the experts of MN!!

OP posts:
mellymooks · 08/04/2012 07:29

Come on you lot, more advice please!!

OP posts:
Limelight · 08/04/2012 07:49

Do you live near a Space NK? If so go and ask there. They're really helpful and kind in there. I went in there just before my wedding, mumbled 'erm...makeup...help' at them, and they have me a total (non-orange) makeup makeover. I went home with a lovely pile of goodies and felt very happy!

And the foundation they gave me (and I still use) was Laura Mercier oil free. It's lovely!

Congrats by the way!

billgrangersrisotto · 08/04/2012 07:56

Bobbi brown moisturising balm. In between a tinted moisturiser and foundation. Great for dry skin.

You need to go to the counter. Bobbi brown will do a free makeover for you, including showing you how to apply things. Many of them that work on the counter are proper make up artists.

Pancakeflipper · 08/04/2012 08:05

I wear Estée L's Double Wear Light and found it stays on all day.

Recently tried a Chanel one. Looked great but had disappeared by mid-day.

Some Clinque ones are worth trying.

LumpyLatimer · 08/04/2012 08:08

Bare Minerals
Bare Minerals
Bare Minerals
Bare Minerals

Grin

Honestly, the stuff is magic. And it doesn't shift. I've spent my whole life spending on makeup - esp foundation - in a desperate attempt to get it right, but since I got a whole set of BM about 6 months ago I have never once deviated from it, which speaks for itself really.

It's def. worth going to a BM counter and being 'done'

VG if you have problem skin too.

It's very 'different' - you're just dusting on powder - so you do need to see the professionals first.

MargueritaaPracatan · 08/04/2012 08:10

Clinique 'Even Better' is the BEST I have ever used and that's having used Chanel, Dior, Bobbi Brown, Lancome, oh just about all of them. I always go back to Clinique but this one blows them all out of the water!

LumpyLatimer · 08/04/2012 08:10

Also - have you tried the Oil Cleansing Method? I've been doing that for about a month and my skin's never been better, and I'm told its excellent for excema too (sorry, never could spell that!)

mellymooks · 08/04/2012 12:31

ooh thanks everyone, which stores are these counters most likely to be in, I will be in Cheltenham tomorrow, they have House of Fraser, Debenhams, Boots, not sure if there are any others there that would have makeup counters.
Thanks for all the advice and congrats, can't quite believe I will be MRS next week!! We've been together so long and two kids kind of feels funny we're finally getting round to this bit and all very slap dash, hence me only having the chance to think about foundation the week before the day Grin

OP posts:
QuinnFabray · 08/04/2012 15:11

If I were you, I would go for Estee Lauder double wear light. I think it ticks all your boxes. Is easy to apply too, just blend it in with your fingers, you can't go wrong. The original double wear is good, but sometimes takes time and practice to learn how to apply it well. The DW light is fool proof. the only problem might be that the colour selection is poor, and the lightest shade might still be too dark for you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.