My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Vanity sizing?

10 replies

akaemmafrost · 12/03/2012 16:24

I'm intrigued by this. I know what it is but I would be interested to know shop by shop who are the worst culprits. Today I bought a size 8 skirt in The Gap, size 10 was far too big. I am a size 10 everywhere else.

Anyone else find this with The Gap?

OP posts:
mrsebojones · 12/03/2012 19:46

I think it also depends on you shape - clothes from some shops fit me far better than clothes from others. I'm 5ft - size 8 - pear shape.

M&S and Next - HUGE - even the petite ranges they do. I sometimes need a 6 and I really don't think I am a 6!!!
Gap, FatFace, Monsoon, Joules - all on the generous side on me - none offer specific petite ranges either
French Connection, Warehouse, Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, Boden - all fit me just about right. Though I generally need a 10 in topshop skinnies from the petite section.

CeliaDeBohun · 12/03/2012 19:57

Isn't Gap sizing American? So a size 8 in Gap would be the equivalent of a UK size 12. At least, that's what I've always assumed.

akaemmafrost · 12/03/2012 20:02

No they put the UK sizes on now, size 8 is a US 6, it said it on the label.

Speaking of body shape though I do think that's true, my thighs are quite chunky from running so I would never get into smaller than a size 10 jeans or trousers anywhere I don't think.

OP posts:
BettyBathroom · 12/03/2012 20:16

US size 6 is a UK size 10, and GAP following that sizing too, must be a misprint on the label

otchayaniye · 12/03/2012 20:23

Gap is enormous, next and M&S are HUGE (nothing fits me in either shop) and by a rough rule of thumb a whistles/reiss size 10 is a size 12.

Designer stuff tends to be smaller, but varies, even within the same designer.

akaemmafrost · 12/03/2012 21:08

No it says size 8, on the label and in the skirt too.

So Gap is huge is it? I won't feel too pleased with myself then?

I find River Island tight on the jeans, size 12 there especially for skinnies or boot cut but massive for tops.

OP posts:
BettyBathroom · 12/03/2012 21:15

Have a look at the Gap sizing their website states that a UK size 10 is a US size 6. It's always been like this!

leothelioness · 12/03/2012 21:15

gap sizing is big I bought a pair of jeans fromt here yesterday and it was a
UK 8/ US 4 and I know for a fact I am not an 8.

akaemmafrost · 12/03/2012 21:18

I'm sure it does but the skirt is definitely a size 8 as I tried others on too and all the size 10 were too big.

OP posts:
tarakd · 14/03/2012 15:34

Have been doing tons of online shopping since becoming a Mum and never actually seem to get to a real shop anymore. I downloaded an amazing Sizefinder app that I think is linked to this site?????:

//www.dressipi.com

The app tells me exactly what size I am in each brand and has saved me so much time. There's a lot more to play with on the site too but the app has been invaluable and it's free.... hurrah!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.