My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Has anyone handwahsed (J Crew) cashmere despite the dry clean only label???

7 replies

alwaysrunninginheels · 01/03/2012 06:58

Love love love the look of J crew cashmere on its website. But its dry clean only as the washing instructions. Did email them and although they had some hand wash cashmere items ladies jumpers/cardigans were not included. But seriously who has time (or inclination/money) to dry clean clothes regularly once they have kids???? That, i think, will stay in the prechildren part of my life. So has anyone washed cashmere that said dryclean???? Normally i ignore dry clean labels but thats usually silk stuff....not sure about cashmere.

OP posts:
Likesshinythings · 01/03/2012 07:14

I always wash cashmere items, my reasoning being that you don't see goats running around with shrunken fleeces when they've been wet!

faustina · 01/03/2012 07:29

I always put cashmere through the silk wash in my washing machine, using a special liquid for wool and silk (not the bio stuff i use for everything else). The sales asst in Brora said he did the same thing. I think officially they say handwash at Brora though - not dry clean.

otchayaniye · 01/03/2012 07:29

I machine wash mine (I have three as I heard they used same cashmere as Loro Piana, but that could be hearsay) on a 30 degree wool wash and a low intensity spin.

daenerysstormborn · 01/03/2012 08:07

if you are going to wash it, don't use the 30 degree wool cycle, just put it in on a cold rinse cycle with liquid, then rinse cycle again to rinse and spin. no heat at all in the water otherwise it may felt.

coffeeinbed · 01/03/2012 11:35

I always hadwash, despite what the label says.
Some of my cashmere is more than 10 years old.

alwaysrunninginheels · 01/03/2012 13:31

Excellent. Love the comments about the goats shiny!!! So the consensus is that even is it says dry clean it can be done if you keep the temp low enough....yes??? Credit card at the ready.......

OP posts:
Chinateacup · 01/03/2012 14:05

I handwash with baby shampoo

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.