My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Got a wedding to go to. Can't find a decent dress anywhere. Is it bad to wear trousers?

22 replies

BambinoBoo · 28/02/2012 09:23

Arrrrrgh. A friend is getting married nextThursday. I can't find a dress I like anywhere - except one from oasis, which is black with white collars. It looks too funereal. Would it be bad to wear trousers and a smart top? I have a feeling that I'll get there and everyone will be in their finery and I'll look like I'm going to work.

OP posts:
PerryCombover · 28/02/2012 09:28

Yes you can wear trousers and yes you can wear an absence of colour.
What's the dress problem?

BambinoBoo · 28/02/2012 09:33

Thanks Perry. If you mean the problem with the dress I have then it's black and the collar is cream. It's nice, but it does look a bit funeral director. The overall dress problem is that I want a dress with long or 3/4 sleeves, but cannot find one anywhere that I like, that isn't black. I thought it was disrespectful to wear black to a wedding. Having said that. I wore a black dress for my own, but we eloped!

OP posts:
PerryCombover · 28/02/2012 09:48

What size are you? Colouring? Body shape? Spends?

BambinoBoo · 28/02/2012 10:04

Size 12-14. Dark hair, pale skin. Hour glass, but have a high waist and big boobs so anything nipped in at the waist looks like my boobs are resting on it. Legs are ok. Tummy not fat, but not flat. Hate showing upper arms, not fat or anything, just feel exposed. Spends. £150Max. I don't have a huge amount of confidence really, I like to blend in rather than stand out. I will always go for black or a dark colour if I can get away with it.

OP posts:
BambinoBoo · 28/02/2012 10:07

I was thinking of ordering this dress. Have tried on loads so far. The colour is much bolder than usual.

www.karenmillen.com/Long-sleeve-drape-jersey-dress/Dresses/karenmillen/fcp-product/903000057327

OP posts:
PerryCombover · 28/02/2012 10:37
PerryCombover · 28/02/2012 10:40

Look these are boring but nice..have you tried dotty p? Some surprisingly nice stuff this year
this dull but also good

PerryCombover · 28/02/2012 10:46

A bit better and looks nice on here

ifancyashandy · 28/02/2012 10:46

LOVE the Karen Millen one and think it'll work just as well in the evening.

Not a fan of the other two for weddings (sorry). Not dressy enough.

Get the KM one!

BambinoBoo · 28/02/2012 10:56

Many thanks Perry and ifancyashandy. I like the red one. Not sure about the stripes or bold print, as again, it's abit stand out and I like to blend in. Says the girl considering a bright blue dress Hmm

Thanks for looking though, some great ideas. Not been near Dotty Ps actually as I normally find it only good for basics, but shall definitely take a look.

Right, I am going to be bold and order the karen Millen one. It can always go back.

OP posts:
PerryCombover · 28/02/2012 10:56
ifancyashandy · 28/02/2012 11:06

Bit over budget but gorgeous with your colouring

You might need a spray tan

Not as expensive as you might think

ifancyashandy · 28/02/2012 11:07

Bugger, the first one was the Josa Tiered Dress on the Whistles site (pink)

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere · 28/02/2012 11:12

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HettyKett · 28/02/2012 11:17
BambinoBoo · 28/02/2012 11:31

I quite like the Kalico one. And I love the Zara one. I'm not keen on the bright pink whistles dress though - just the colour really. I really should have started this thread about a month ago Grin

Thanks everyone.

OP posts:
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere · 28/02/2012 11:31

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BambinoBoo · 28/02/2012 11:33

Hetty I did look at that dress funnily enough, but having bigger boobs, I tend to avoid sleeves that come to the elbow as the finishing line draws attention to the baps if you see what I mean.

OP posts:
HettyKett · 28/02/2012 11:42

Nooo. Please do at least try it on! They really are proper 3/4 length sleeves and I bet it'd look stunning. Women pay thousands for for the sort of impressive frontage you have Wink

HettyKett · 28/02/2012 11:43

(I think they end where they'll draw attention to your waist anyway)

ifancyashandy · 28/02/2012 11:58

Bambino, I'm with you on that sleeve length and boobs - it's not a good look IMO.

BambinoBoo · 28/02/2012 12:29

Oh hetty, I really hate my baps. They are not even that huge at 36E, but I have never liked them since being chased round school with boys wanting a feel Shock and I feel like they have defined me since. If I had the courage could afford I'd have a reduction. Weren't even any use when I had DS.

I may take a little trip at the weekend to John Lewis if the KM dress comes to nothing. Thank you.

OP posts:

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.