My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Makeover Makeup

11 replies

trulymadlydeeply · 07/02/2012 05:56

I'm 46 and realised my make up hasn't been overhauled in the last 20 years. I'm now reaching the bottom of my makeup bag (only wear it to work), and have watched the Bobbi Brown 10 essential steps to makeup (or whatever it's called) in order to know what to replenish my empty bag with, and realised I have none of the essentials!

What are your absolute essentials and how do you keep up to date with your make up - especially eye makeup??

I have to get up to get to school at 5.30am, and have 3 DC, so nothing complicated or I'll end up not doing it!

Thanks for your help.

OP posts:
camerontoll · 07/02/2012 07:23

I rally like bare essentials and can be done for the day in less than 5 minutes.

After shower I moisturise and let that settle while drying my hair and generally faffing around. Then I swirl, tap and buff on my foundation, blusher and mineral veil before a coat of smashbox liner from one of their palettes and mascara. I generally don't to eyeshadow unless weekend or special ocassion.

That is is and those are my essentials. I have a few blushes so can choose depending on time of year and the eyeliner palettes have either 8 or 10 shades in them so plenty of choice for something different and that is me. Simple.

camerontoll · 07/02/2012 07:24

Escentuals even. Blasted iPad.

trulymadlydeeply · 07/02/2012 07:44

Thanks, Cameron.

I wonder if the brushes are more important than the product ...

Have you changed the colours you use over the years? I'm wondering whether to go to a MAC counter or similar, and get them to do one of their makeovers, so i can get some ideas, but I don't like heavy makeup so I want to still look like me!

OP posts:
ggirl · 07/02/2012 07:48

I also love bare escentuals but have to admit for work I only wear olay's touch of foundation tinted moisturiser
then some concealor under eyes , am currently using revlon colourstay one

then some bare escentuals radiance blush

estee lauder eyeliner pencil in brown and mascara

ggirl · 07/02/2012 07:50

less is more as you get older
I am a bit older than you (49) but find that liquid foundation makes me look older

mrsmartin · 07/02/2012 09:57

I would chose BE over something like mac if you don't want heavy make-up. Also, my top tip is to do a quick slick of eyeliner over your upper lashes. It completes your make up and makes you look polished, lasts much longer than eyeshadow and makes your eyes look bigger, brighter and, if you use a colour like navy, whiter too. I wear alot of different products (see BE thread) but my make-up lasts all day and looks natural.

My essentials are primer, eyebrows, eyeliner(top and bottom of my upper lashes), concealer, mascara, blush and a lip stain (I love my lippy and wear it over the top but when it wears off I know my lips still have a great colour)

NomDePrune · 07/02/2012 10:39

Agree with liner on top lids - I never put anything on lower lashes as I hate it when it smudges and travels south and you end up looking tired and older and when you next look in a mirror there are bits in the corners of your eyes

mrsmartin · 07/02/2012 11:28

eeewwww...black eye goop - hate that!! To avoid - only go 3/4 of the way along your lower lash line and leave the last 1/4 by the corner of your eye free of liner - makes eyes look bigger too. Also, eyeshadow works just as well as eyeliner if applied correctly and doesn't travel the way eyeliner can. I use mac eyeshadows wet on my top lid with an eyeliner brush and mally evercolour pencils on my lower, with eyeshadow on top of the lower and smudged if I want a super sexy eye look.

LikeItsGolden · 07/02/2012 11:43

My essentials are:

Foundation
Tinted moisturiser (I wear this on day's when foundation would feel too much, so for Saturday shopping-type trips)
Bronzer
Illuminator
Mascara
Kohl eyeliner (only for nights out)
Nude lipliner (just to stop lippie bleeding)
Peachy lipstick or colour-tinted balm
Metallic eyeshadows (love them for nights out)

On a weekend day when I am just popping out I just use tinted moisturiser, illuminator, mascara and gloss.

For work, I use a proper foundation, a bit of bronzer and lipstick.

For nights out, I get the eyeliner on and might add a bit of eyeshadow.

Maraki · 07/02/2012 14:47

I am 40 and I wouldn't go to MAC for a makeover, I feel that they are more suited towards younger women or party makeup. For everyday (and that would be a 6:30 wakeup call after a sleepless night with DD sometimes) I use:
EL doublewear foundation (2 layers under eyes to cover dark circles, get a pump £3 from MAC for the bottle otherwise it goes everywhere)
BB pot rouge as blusher
Quick swish of MAC loose powder to set everything
Black MAC pencil on top lashline
2 coats of black false lash (max factor) mascara
The same BB pot rouge I used as blusher for lipstick

I very often do all of the above on the train.

If I can be bothered I will add some eyeshadow in a neutral 'stone' colour, some clear brow gel, some lipgloss. On a night out I would use liquid eyeliner, maybe do a smokey eye ( if DD is not screaming because of babysitter) and add BB shimmerbrick to my cheekbones.

I really like the BB philosophy, you end up looking yourself but better, not a painted stranger.

ggirl · 07/02/2012 16:36

you do your makeup on the train !? Shock

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.