My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Pure self-indulgence: look what I just bought

23 replies

PastGrace · 04/02/2012 23:20

I NEVER have any success in TK Maxx but have been waiting, fingers crossed, for this bag in black (they only had navy a few weeks ago).

I love it.

I know it's not the latest designer bag or anything, but I've been wanting a proper black work-friendly handbag for ages and now here it is.

OP posts:
mirpuppet · 04/02/2012 23:22

Nice :o

imoanruby · 04/02/2012 23:24

That's a bargain - i never manage to find anything fab in TK Maxx, i can't be arsed with it anymore, well done you.

PastGrace · 04/02/2012 23:25

Grin

I'm sticking to the website. Once a week click on the "new in" and then give up. Not worth the hassle of the shops...

DP thinks I'm mad.

OP posts:
AgentProvocateur · 04/02/2012 23:34

I love a TK Maxx bargain. I often go on at 9am on a Saturday when it's nice and quiet. I passed it today and I said to DS that it would be my dream shop to be locked in overnight. He's a teenager and was Hmm

SilverSixpence · 04/02/2012 23:59

Very nice, they have some lovely bags at the moment, some beautiful ones from Fossil and Fenn Wright Manson.

BlackCatsAndPurpleDogs · 05/02/2012 00:14

It is repulsive. It is made from lizard, you know, a real living, breathing creature.
You should be disgusted with yourself, not gloating on here.

2blessed2bstressed · 05/02/2012 00:30

Blackcats - its actually made from leather, made to look like crocodile. Mind you, cows are also living breathing creatures so feel free to carry on being outraged Grin
fwiw OP I think its a lovely bag, and would quite like the navy one!

OldBagWantsNewBag · 05/02/2012 00:38

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PastGrace · 05/02/2012 11:10

Blackcats, I would never buy a reptile skin bag. That might be hypocritical because I'm buying leather, but I just wouldn't. I don't really think it's very good imitation reptile either, but I see your point, OldBag, about supporting the trend.

OP posts:
drywhiteplease · 05/02/2012 11:35

I think it's fabulous. I love moc croc .there are very few real reptile bags on the market and the real ones would never be in tk maxx........much bigger price tag.
I assume that the uppity fake reptile people never wear fake fur either.
I love tk maxx for handbags, i think you can get great quality leather bags for a good price, and am grateful to you,pastgrace for telling me there is a website (oh no!)

Rindercella · 05/02/2012 11:40

Lovely leather bag PastGrace Smile I recently got a similar bag bargain from TK Maxx & I absolutely love it.

BlackCatsAndPurpleDogs · 05/02/2012 12:12

hmmm ok, well how can we find out if it is leather or reptile?

dexter73 · 05/02/2012 12:21

I imagine it is embossed leather.

OldBagWantsNewBag · 05/02/2012 12:31

WTFlike · 05/02/2012 12:35

But it says it is "Reptile skin" in the description?

dexter73 · 05/02/2012 12:44

It says it is black leather reptile skin.

henrythecat · 05/02/2012 12:46

WTF, if you look on dexter's link - Osprey state that they only use leather that is a byproduct of the meat industry and that it is tooled to look like reptile. I think a real reptile bag would cost an awful lot more than £300ish which is the RRP of the bag.

And for what it's worth drywhite, another 'uppity fake reptile' person here who won't wear fake fur either. And I can't see what's so 'uppity' about not wanting to wear (or be seen to be wearing if fake) part of an an animal that has been deliberately killed for that purpose if you object to it. Personally, I think it's a hideous bag, precisely because it looks like reptile but I wouldn't judge someone else if they liked it so why do you attack those that choose not to wear it?

Cassettetapeandpencil · 05/02/2012 16:25

drywhiteplease · 05/02/2012 19:47

cassettetapepencil agreed
I just felt sorry for poor pastgrace who was simply excited about getting a beautiful bag at a bargain price.
There was no chance it was ever real crocodile skin.to make a real croc bag it takes 3/4 hides of farmed crocodiles (in the case of Hermes) and the price tag is more 4/5 figures.
Such a difficult thing ethics.How can we be sure that all of our clothes have not been made by children in sweatshops or that our diamonds (not fake ones!) have been mined by companies with good human rights records?

bunionscomingsoon · 05/02/2012 21:03

I so agree cassette - - most of the bags on the high street are made in India or China often by child labour - - -the cheap price tags on them mean the people who made them must have been paid peanuts - - i worry about them - not the snakes or lizardsAngry

MissVerinder · 05/02/2012 23:23

OP, I have that bag. 'Tis fab-u-lous.

Really sturdy as well a fruit shoot drink leaked in it the other day and it dried out fine!

PastGrace · 06/02/2012 17:19

I would just like to say, regardless of any lizard/crocodile/leather related issues, I am so impressed with the TK Maxx service. I ordered on Saturday night (as it was starting to snow) and it is here already (using their free standard delivery). They used Hermes to ship it, which I know people seem divided over in terms of reliability, but I am one happy shopper.

I honestly don't work for them, but I was expecting it to be a bit bashed/scruffy/rejected but it isn't at all.

OP posts:

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

CointreauVersial · 06/02/2012 17:26

Lovely bag.

I love TKMaxx for Accessories, but never thought of looking on the website.

I'm after something blue and really don't give a stuff if it's lizard, croc or cow or your finest hand-tooled PVC, I'm afraid so I'll have a look.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.