My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their experience of using screens during lockdown with Optrex

145 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 26/05/2020 15:24

This sponsored discussion is now closed.

For many of us, screen time has increased during lockdown: whether that’s for work, taking part in virtual pub quizzes or keeping in touch with family and friends via video calls. But, it’s something that can play havoc with eye health, particularly if you’re a glasses wearer or suffer from dry eyes regularly. With that in mind, Optrex would like to hear about your experience of using screens during lockdown and how it’s affected you - especially if your eyes have been impacted.

Here’s what Optrex has to say: “Over the last few months we’ve all seen our routines change dramatically, which can have an impact on our bodies and health. We often forget about the health of our eyes, but when they become uncomfortable, they can be hard to ignore. Technology has enabled many of us to work from home, stay entertained, informed and connected with loved ones. However, looking at screens can reduce our rate of blinking and lead to dry and tired eyes, which can feel uncomfortable and irritated. We would love to understand any effect that the lockdown period has had on your eyes and whether you have been taking steps to protect or treat them.”

What has your experience with screens been during lockdown and how has it impacted you? Have you experienced eye strain or dry eyes? If so, how have you attempted to reduce the irritation or pain? Are there any other ways extra screen time has affected your health or wellbeing?

Whatever your experience of screen use during lockdown, share how it has affected you below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share their experience of using screens during lockdown with Optrex
OP posts:
Ashton08 · 29/08/2020 20:57

My eyes are the least of my worries, I work on the frontline and I feel I am a spotty teenager again with all the zits over my face and neck!!🧟‍♀️

burwellmum · 29/08/2020 22:58

Fortunately I got new glasses just before lockdown which has helped immensely. I haven't noticed too many problems.

caravandreamer · 30/08/2020 04:49

My screen time hasn't changed but my kids has as they've been using them for fun but also for education too. They've spent far too much time on them during lockdown when they were stuck inside bored but as soon as lock down was eased they were back outside playing. My 10 year old was moaning of headaches for the first few weeks which I put down to using the iPad too long !! The iPad was a blessing at times to keep them occupied but it was also a nightmare too when trying to get the kids to get off them for a break too. One thing for sure though it just shows how much looking at a screen can impact your eyes etc as the headaches stopped as soon as he didn't use it for a hour or two ! Confused

ButterflyOfFreedom · 30/08/2020 08:07

My job is mainly computer based and I do spend a lot of time staring at a screen which I don't think is that good physically or mentally. I do get dry, tired eyes sometimes which can become itchy & red. I don't use anything to help, I just try to limit screen time and get enough sleep.
With the DC we limit screen time - they don't have their own phone, tablet or laptop and watch minimal tv. There are much better things to be doing than looking at a screen!

MakeTeaNotWar · 30/08/2020 15:19

Using screens non stop and haven't noticed any difference with my eyes

Twigaletta · 30/08/2020 19:51

I've been reading my Kindle more and when my eyes are tired I can increase the font size which is handy. I needed to get reading glasses earlier in the year so I could read the paper books my friends lent me.

I had laser eye surgery a few years ago and my eyes have been drier and more sensitive ever since. I just use my DH's contact lens solution to dribble a few drops in when they are dry. I hadn't considered a proper product.

AltheaThoon · 31/08/2020 20:21

The light in my home office isn't the best so I've been experimenting with screen brightness and angled lamps. I have noticed my eyes feel strained more than they used to so I'm trying to take plenty of regular breaks away from the screen.

79lauren79 · 01/09/2020 13:26

My screen time has been far greater due to endless Zoom calls and to much phone use but have got away without any eye strain so far.

Summergarden · 02/09/2020 17:00

My eyes definitely felt more dry and achey after spending more time at a screen.

I didn’t take action to alleviate it apart from having some dedicated screen free time and early nights.

VividImagination · 16/09/2020 19:41

I would say we have watched more TV during lockdown but I don’t think we have used computer screens more than usual. I do think the good weather has helped as we have been able to be outside (in the garden) more. I would expect the winter will bring more problems as dc’s activities are not going to be on and Their friends wii all be online.

Coffeemummy123 · 16/09/2020 23:30

Using screens more have worsened my eyesight. I try to take breaks and exercise me eyes during sessions.

Amber0685 · 17/09/2020 14:54

My eyes have definately been dryer from increased screen time. I use moisturising eye drops, the single use ones as eyedrops only last 4 weeks once opened. I also had blepheritis which I had to use eyelid wipes on.

1starwars2 · 18/09/2020 18:22

All of our screen time has increased. I started wearing glasses more during lockdown.

BettySweaty · 18/09/2020 20:38

Everyone in the house has had significantly increased screen time which I don't think has been good for any one. I've had many headaches, a changed glasses prescription and burning and red eyes. Not good!!

JS06 · 19/09/2020 12:51

My husband has been working from home in our dining room throughout lockdown and spends all day every day on his screen. From early on in lockdown he noticed how drawn his eyes were and he chose to invest in a larger screen to plug into his laptop. This has helped somewhat.

picklemewalnuts · 19/09/2020 17:37

I've noticed itchy tired eyes at times. I think it's also affected by not going outside- my focal length is close all the time.

tobypercy · 19/09/2020 22:02

I do ok, because I spend as much time on the phone as the computer, and I have a great view from the window to give my eyes a rest. I have started setting a timer for DS8, he only gets 30 minutes on the computer before an enforced break.

duggerlugs · 20/09/2020 09:42

Screen time increased for us all but my 5 year old had more due to home school activities on line. We tried hard to blend the days so we were up and moving around computer time.

EmanResu7 · 28/09/2020 02:23

I have definitely experienced more dry eyes and allergy symptoms this year, which may have been increased screen time or more time spent outdoors. I don't like taking antihistamines, so eye drops have been really useful in helping with the irritation.

duck22 · 29/09/2020 10:46

My vision has definitely got worse, but having a computer based job its been going downhill for a while.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.