My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their experience of using screens during lockdown with Optrex

145 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 26/05/2020 15:24

This sponsored discussion is now closed.

For many of us, screen time has increased during lockdown: whether that’s for work, taking part in virtual pub quizzes or keeping in touch with family and friends via video calls. But, it’s something that can play havoc with eye health, particularly if you’re a glasses wearer or suffer from dry eyes regularly. With that in mind, Optrex would like to hear about your experience of using screens during lockdown and how it’s affected you - especially if your eyes have been impacted.

Here’s what Optrex has to say: “Over the last few months we’ve all seen our routines change dramatically, which can have an impact on our bodies and health. We often forget about the health of our eyes, but when they become uncomfortable, they can be hard to ignore. Technology has enabled many of us to work from home, stay entertained, informed and connected with loved ones. However, looking at screens can reduce our rate of blinking and lead to dry and tired eyes, which can feel uncomfortable and irritated. We would love to understand any effect that the lockdown period has had on your eyes and whether you have been taking steps to protect or treat them.”

What has your experience with screens been during lockdown and how has it impacted you? Have you experienced eye strain or dry eyes? If so, how have you attempted to reduce the irritation or pain? Are there any other ways extra screen time has affected your health or wellbeing?

Whatever your experience of screen use during lockdown, share how it has affected you below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share their experience of using screens during lockdown with Optrex
OP posts:
Nottheshrinkingcapgrandpa · 10/06/2020 19:00

I have realised how much I hate having multiple Zoom meetings a day!

Ratbagcatbag · 11/06/2020 08:42

My screen time has increased dramatically and I've noticed my eyes feeling tired and gritty when I wake up in the morning.
At work it's not been too bad whilst working from home but we've had to move into different seats several times in the office and my last move had me sitting under the air conditioning unit which made my eyes much drier.

lymphopenia · 11/06/2020 12:00

My screen time has leapt up, both at work and at home- my eyes are definitely strained and I feel more tired which mad me wonder if screens are causing fatigue!

My DF actually had a severe eye condition that was reviewed and treated in a&e recently and they believe it was due to him spending too much time working in front of a screen so it's been a real eye opener to us all that we need to take better care of our eyes

TellMeItsNotTrue · 11/06/2020 19:56

It's had a positive effect on our mental wellbeing through being able to connect with family

It's been necessary for school work and that's led to more screen time than I'd like, but I make sure everyone has regular breaks and we spend time outside every day in the garden

heymammy · 12/06/2020 15:50

I generally have a lot of screen time anyway, I stare at two computer screens for work then often browse the internet in the evenings so I don't feel my screen usage has changed much.

I'm also fairly sure my eyesight is being effected by so much screen time. Started wearing reading glasses at 42, now, a few years later I have varifocals for both long & short sightedness! My eyes often feel blurry and tired Sad

morelikeaclubsandwich · 12/06/2020 16:31

I have been using a laptop all day on my work days. My job is normally face to face. Wish I'd got round to that eye test before lockdown!

like7 · 12/06/2020 22:29

I have felt strained around the eyes and try to go for a walk round the garden to have a break. Like to also have a break from my glasses for a while.

Lifesbetterwithwine · 13/06/2020 10:00

Definitely using screens far more for work and leisure during lockdown. My eyes often sting a little due to the glare. I’ll try and have more screenbreaks.

pushchairprincess · 13/06/2020 13:13

I'm working from home with a netbook provided by work - and am struggling with the size of the screen - eyes are becoming strained - it's horrible.

UpOnDown · 13/06/2020 17:08

I'm finding it harder to sleep with using screens so much.

wellingtonsandwaffles · 13/06/2020 18:01

Now being furloughed I’m using my screens far less but therefore Wearing contacts more, but strangely I’m not getting the same sore / tired feeling I used to get with those if I wore at work. When I wasn’t furloughed but WFH I needed my glasses for long days on screens

Amber0685 · 13/06/2020 19:19

Yes I get very dry eyes from too much screen time, so use a lubricating eye for tired eyes. The brightening one for dull eyes, is good for making you eyes look whiter in videocalls.

gingerbreadslice · 14/06/2020 11:39

My eyes are becoming sore due to hay fever and staring at my phone screen late at night. I use piriton but obviously doesn't help that I'm face down in my phone for hours a day

oceany · 15/06/2020 11:39

I'm using them more for my kids homeschooling, which I'm not keen on, where I can I'm printing things out for them.

theAntsareMyFriends · 15/06/2020 21:02

I often spend days at work in front of the computer so have been using screens less and my eyes feel a lot less tired. When I go back to work I intend to take more breaks away to save my eyes.

foxessocks · 15/06/2020 21:45

My eyes have probably been less dry as I don't tend to bother with my contacts unless I'm leaving the house!

Gazelda · 16/06/2020 09:45

I'm wearing specs more, instead of contact lenses as my eyes were getting so dry and tired
Also, using a laptop and not checking its height has given me a bad neck because I'm looking downward so much. I started getting headaches and gradually realised how bad my posture has been so now elevate the screen.

ohdannyboy · 16/06/2020 13:45

I'm working from home and having zoom meetings (which I found strange to see where my bosses live, and their ever growing hair)
facetime chats with girls from the office, and I can say I think it's the new norm, I have to remember to put in my eye drops, and blink - I can feel myself staring at the screen for too long.

Flapdoodles · 16/06/2020 18:57

What has your experience with screens been during lockdown and how has it impacted you?
Since lockdown my eyes are definitely more irritated and I have had a few headaches.

Have you experienced eye strain or dry eyes? If so, how have you attempted to reduce the irritation or pain?
I try now to get up in a morning and do what I need to do on the computer before lunch, so I can have a break and possibly the afternoon off. It is difficult to have no screens though as I am in touch with several friends and work through online groups. I hadn't thought about eye drops but will look into this, at the moment I am not using anything.

Are there any other ways extra screen time has affected your health or wellbeing?
I have completed lots of online courses which I think has kept me sane on days when I have been extremely bored and/or feeling low.

minceandpotatoes · 16/06/2020 21:15

I definitely experienced my eyes feeling tired, strained, and sore due to increased screen time while working from home during lockdown doing lots of online learning and training. I'm glad to be back at work now, where looking at screens is just a very small part of the working day. However hayfever has hit now! So still using eye drops for relief.

jan9876 · 17/06/2020 07:17

Been using the computer a lot and sometimes my eyes feel sore, i thought it was tiredness or make up id been using but will think again. DD sometimes says her eyes are sore so will check this out.

feejee · 17/06/2020 07:41

Yes, im using laptop a lot more than normal, trying to work from it when I normally have 2 large screens at work has put strain on my eyes. I do get tired eyes, but havent thought about using anything such as a drop other than a trip to the opticians when they re-open.

CakeCakeCake21 · 17/06/2020 15:11

I am using my iPad more. Coupled with working on a laptop and watching TV in the evening it means I am on a screen most of the day. Same with DS1, his school work is all on screen then he is in front of the Xbox for two hours.I do worry about it. My eyes don’t seem particularly affected though even though I wear contacts.DH does suffer from dry eyes and there is always a bottle of drops in the front room.

hiddenmichelle · 17/06/2020 19:30

Screen use is definately up for the whole family. Kids expecially who are not at school are having a huge amount of screen time for both school work and gaming. Not noticed any side effects for them but my can be sore at the end of the day - reverted to wearing my glasses rather than contacts for now and seems to help.

flowerpower32 · 18/06/2020 06:50

Had not really thought about this but realised my eyes have been getting dry and stinging more. Find myself needing to 'scrunch' my eyelids which can't be particularly good. Really keen to reduce screen time now we are allowed out more

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.