Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at [email protected] if you'd like to know more about how they work.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Pick your favourite back to school pieces from George at ASDA and share your back to school tips - £300 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

EmmaMumsnet · 24/07/2017 10:10

It’s never too early to start thinking about the kids starting or heading back to school. There’s so much to buy that it’s hard to remember everything or even know how much of each thing you need - are 5 shirts enough/too much? Where should I shop? What should I buy? Are all common questions our MNers have.

Here’s what George at ASDA has to say: “Our schoolwear and footwear are such brilliant quality, we’re proud to offer a no-quibble 100 day satisfaction guarantee. This means that if you’re not happy with an item you’ve brought with 100 days, we’ll give you a full refund. So you can shop with complete confidence.”

George at ASDA would like you to go to their website here and pick out your favourite back to school items, whether that’s uniform, shoes, lunchboxes, or stationary and come back and share them (ideally with a link to make it easy on anyone who wants to check them out). It would be great if you could also share your back to school tips and tricks with your fellow MNers, especially those who may have DC going to school for the first time this year!

So how many shirts do you buy? Don’t forget about the PE kit! What are the most comfy school shoes for your DC? Have you found an amazing lunchbox with lots of handy compartments? Do you label EVERYTHING? How do you get your kids in the mindset for going back to school? Whatever your favourite back to school items and tricks, please share them on the thread below and you will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 George at ASDA voucher.

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

Pick your favourite back to school pieces from George at ASDA and share your back to school tips - £300 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED
OP's posts:
Please
or

UpOnDown · 24/07/2017 13:44

My DN likes this lunch bag.

Definitely 5 polo shirts, 2-3 pairs of trousers.

Please
or

Cupcakeicecream · 24/07/2017 14:05

I love the pinafore. Very smart and look good. Rarely if very need ironed as the don't seem to crease. Easy wear as the are zippers to make it quick to get dressed. Sturdy strong material that doesn't stain so they last all year very good quality tried and tested reliable products.

Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 24/07/2017 14:24

I'm liking these - ds is 11 but tall and longer length lets him not have material bunched round his waist to make too big trousers fit.

If your child is a cold body who will wear a sweatshirt all winter, or a girl who likes pinafores, buy plain polo shirts in the correct colour for them to wear when logos won't show

Please
or

HELENSCRESCENT · 24/07/2017 14:27

The two in one pinafore dress, we bought one last year to try and it was great. Washed well and hardly needs ironing. Will definitely be buying Morris for this year. Only point is they do come up small so buy the next size up. direct.asda.com/george/school/pinafores-dresses/girls-school-2-in-1-jersey-dress-grey/GEM316383,default,pd.html

Please
or

DrablittleCrab · 24/07/2017 16:41

This drawstring bag dd will love it for her pe kit. I also love the gingham dresses.

Please
or

magentastardust · 24/07/2017 16:45

I like these school blouses for my girls:
direct.asda.com/george/school/shirts-blouses/girls-school-shirred-back-blouse/GEM559938,default,pd.html

They look great under pinafores and they always wash and last well. Loving that Asda is doing a 100 day satisfaction guarantee-as recently I have been struggling to get school shoes with soles that last (my children aren't particularly heavy on their feet either) So good to know if i did buy shoes from there it would be easy to exchange if there was an issue.

Please
or

magentastardust · 24/07/2017 16:48

Oh and meant to say for those with dc's starting school -best tips are if they can do up their own shoes and jacket it is a big help , and if they can use a fork and knife properly for school dinners. Changing for PE can also be a challenge for some , and if you have girls try not to put them in tights on a gym day-makes life a lot easier for pupils and the teacher! Also you will cry...but they will be fine and have a great time! :)

Please
or

MrsT2007 · 24/07/2017 17:43

5 of everything for ease of washing!

George's slim fit trousers are just brilliant. I have a skinny son and these fit brilliantly, and every pair has lasted all year in amazing condition.

Zip up pinafores are great for small girls, as are grey knee length socks instead of tights

And the polo shirts last well, wash well and my daughter loves the pretty scallop edge collar ones.

Please
or

georgedawes · 24/07/2017 17:44

I've bought lots of asda uniform and can recommend it all - particularly the gingham dresses! We do buy 5 Polo shirts (only way really) and definitely label everything - to be honest, even then some things go astray. I use the stick on labels as they seem to last better (and are easier to apply) than the iron on ones.

Please
or

maryandbuzz1 · 24/07/2017 17:49

I Love this lunch box!
direct.asda.com/george/home-garden/kids-lunchbags-dining-sets/zebra-lunch-bag/050192834,default,pd.html?cgid=D26M08G08C20
We always have about 3 polo shirts and the same with trousers. We always buy Clarks shoes as they are really comfortable and hard wearing. Although it's a pain I buy iron on name labels because my son is not the tidiest person and is great at losing items.....naming has helped with tracking items down.

Please
or

LeeR1985 · 24/07/2017 17:49

I get 4-5 polo shirts because kids are terribly messy and a couple of skirts or pants for when the weather is bad. I normally just get one pair of shoes and replace them when they get too worn out. No issues getting her in the mood for school, she loves school

Please
or

hiddenmichelle · 24/07/2017 17:50

2 trousers, 2 shirts and one of everything else inclujding pe kit. So easy to replace as supermarkets sell them all year round so I go with the minimum and replace as needed or outgrown!

Please
or

ThemisA · 24/07/2017 18:10

We love this backpack, it is pretty without being sickly and very practical. 6 shirts so they can be washed and pressed over the weekend with one spare in case we get behind.

Please
or

andywedge · 24/07/2017 18:14

Love these direct.asda.com/george/school/shoes-trainers/boys-school-leather-1-strap-school-shoes/GEM545074,default,pd.html
And my tip is to buy slip on shoes - so much easier than laces

Please
or

patchysmum · 24/07/2017 18:20

love these trousers my son struggled with buttons when he was younger so these are ideal and a the price you can afford a couple of pairs.I would label everything as with school clothes being all alike it is easy to pick up someone else's clothes.

Please
or

InflagranteDelicto · 24/07/2017 18:23

I've always found the grey uniform bits wear well. Dds liked the skater skirts. Younger girls blouses are nice, and washed well too, with no button falling off incidents. Asda do some lovely gingham dresses with a proper waist, not the dropped one, and a waist tie. Both girls buckets like mad over the two I bought in May.

Boys trousers for tall skinny boys have been a Godsend. Think ds is related to a weed!

My top tip, learnt through work, is wash clothes with suncream marks on a low temp wash with NO detergent first, then wash normally. It seems to have worked here.

Please
or

footdust · 24/07/2017 18:24

Love the School 5 Pack Stay White Teflon® Polo Shirts - White- Ii always buy 5 polo shirts so there is enough for a clean one every day. I use the stick on labels as they seem to last better than the iron on ones..

Please
or

Emmap12 · 24/07/2017 18:24

George's slim fit trousers fit my bean-pole 12 year old son perfectly...these will be on my shopping list for back to school in September. I wish I had his slim fit build 😂

Please
or

falgelednl · 24/07/2017 18:25

Just looked at the skirt/top combo which would be fabulous for my daughter but seems only to be in grey.
Reading through the reviews for boys' clothes as this year my son is starting school after his two big sisters.
Now off to see if the star wars shoes are still on sale.

Fingers crossed for the voucher - we have always bought from Asda but either have to make a special trip to the mainland or else have it delivered.

Please
or

WhosTakingDeHorseToFrance · 24/07/2017 18:27

direct.asda.com/george/school/dresses/girls-school-gingham-dress-light-blue/GEM526554,default,pd.html Loving these dresses, well done Asda! In this house we buy 6 polo shirts, three trousers/skirts/shorts/pinafores and sweaters and 2 sets of pe kit. So if they are mucky beggars like my pair you've got one on them, one spare and one in the wash!

Please
or

kassza · 24/07/2017 18:28

Check with your child's Primary school, but very often it is not compulsory to have a school cardigan or sweatshirt with the school logo. They can be quite expensive in comparison to George at ASDA These are £4 for a pack of two sweatshirts for a Reception age child direct.asda.com/george/school/cardigans-jumpers/school-2-pack-sweatshirts-cobalt-blue/GEM560066,default,pd.html I'd buy two packs, probably essential when your child is at the painting easel!

Please
or

thesockgap · 24/07/2017 18:30

I like this pack of shirts direct.asda.com/george/boys-school-shirts/boys-school-5-pack-short-sleeve-shirts-white/GEM527029,default,pd.html one for each day of the week - which is essential I think so that you're not washing them every day, just do a load on a Friday night.
I can also vouch for these trousers direct.asda.com/george/school/trousers/boys-school-slim-fit-flat-front-trousers-grey/G005414165,default,pd.html#choice:colour - ideal for my skinny boy! Normal size trousers make him look like a clown!

I have been a school parent now for 13 years and have always bought:
5 shirts (or polo shirts when it used to be those)
2 pairs trousers
2 jumpers
2 lots of PE kit (something will invariably get lost)

For little ones just starting school, don't fuss too much about buying them a new bag - most schools have book bags which are more suitable for infants.

Please
or

sammylea80 · 24/07/2017 18:32

These polo shirts are such great value direct.asda.com/george/boys-school-polo-shirts/boys-school-5-pack-stay-white-teflon-polo-shirts-white/GEM462672,default,pd.html

it saves having to wash them every day , I can just do a school uniform load on a Friday night.

Please
or

SSCRASE123 · 24/07/2017 18:36

direct.asda.com/george/george-home/Sistema-620ml-Twist-Bottle-Aqua/002041658,default,pd.html?cgid=D7M1G1C14 These are by far the best water bottles we've found and will be getting them again this summer.

Please
or

fleshmarketclose · 24/07/2017 18:39

Thought these were incredibly good value at £13.50 for a pack of 5 senior school formal shirts.
Would always have five shirts even in secondary as it saves a midweek panic. Interested to read that the slim fit trousers get a good review as I struggle to find school trousers that fit very petite dd 14 so will pop along to Asda this week and get some for her to try.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.