DD has been on the nhs waiting list for ASD assessment for coming up to five years. 3 years ago we (well the grandparents) paid for a private assessment. In news that surprised no one she was indeed diagnosed with ASD.
we’re currently wading through treacle with CAMHS. While she becomes more and more withdrawn and distressed. The school are unsupportive. She’s just started sertraline and is on a year long waiting list for therapy. That part is unrelated to my question
so it seems she’s finally reached the top of the nhs waiting list. I hadn’t removed her upon receiving her private diagnosis, largely because there is so much scepticism around private diagnoses. My gut feeling was that a nhs diagnosis was somehow more reliable / accepted / important
anyway, they’ve phoned and said that they understand she’s been privately diagnosed and therefore will not assess her
I get it, there are thousands of kids awaiting assessments who don’t have generous grandparents able to fund a private assessment. But am I right to still want a nhs diagnosis for her? I’m torn and don’t know whether to ask that she is assessed or just accept it. Happy to be guided either way it’s so hard to know what to do for the best