My feed

to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Screaming, whinging destructive child!!

10 replies

spursmum · 09/08/2005 16:25

My ds has ASD and for the last few days has become very loud, screaming and whinging at nothing, being very destructive and increasing more violent.
He is mainly non-verbal(lots of babbling, occasional words) but lately has just screamed loudly no matter what I do or ask.
Is this a phase or to do with his ASD?
How can I cope with this and not loose my rag?(I've taken to hiding in my bedroom)
My living room looks like a bombs gone off where he has thrown everything in a tantrum and we are both covered in bruises where he gets violent.
I desperately need help as he may not live to see the new school term

OP posts:
spursmum · 09/08/2005 20:22

Big shameless bump for the evening MNers. Someone please help!!!

OP posts:
Blossomhill · 09/08/2005 20:27

Spursmum - I would say it's part of the asd. I would try and get some help. maybe talk to your gp or hv, possibly even SS. They may have some ways to help you. Do you get any respite at all? Sounds like you need it if ds is getting violent. Really sorry I couldn't help anymore

spursmum · 09/08/2005 20:29

Nope no respite even though I am a single parent 24/7. He's not "severe" enough to qualify apparently.

OP posts:
Blossomhill · 09/08/2005 20:36

U r joking Spursmum. That's not on at all. I mean my dd has a language disorder and we were given 2 days per week in a summer holiday scheme, funded by SS. Is your ds on the disability register?

spursmum · 09/08/2005 20:41

Not sure actually. He was only dx in july and all the people we deal with work term time only.
No one tells you anything about anything do they?

OP posts:
heartinthecountry · 10/08/2005 13:45

You will probably need to get him put on the disability register yourself. Usually no-one thinks about doing this for you. Just phone ss and ask for child disability team. They will probably send someone out to see you.

You are also entitled to ask SS to assess your needs as well as your ds's.

If you are assessed as needing any kind of respite you can ask for this in direct payments if you like (threads on this in the archive).

Davros · 10/08/2005 14:13

God Spursmum, sounds like you will have to contact Soc Svs yourself but DO!! Its well worth it. And once you ask for an assessment they MUST do it within a certain time I think.
You don't live near Spurs do you? I'm taking DS (ASD) to a great adventure playground right next to Spurs every Saturday morning over the summer. its for children with ASD and their families. Let me know if you want info. You could also contact Harringey Autism if you're in that area, the local NAS branch, for advice/support.

spursmum · 10/08/2005 14:16

The spurs is for the footie!! i live in herts near misdee and sparkleymieow!!
Any advice would be appreciated as haven't a clue what i am doing!! This is all new to me.

OP posts:
spursmum · 10/08/2005 14:37

Just found the Herts disability register.It's not called that anymore!!! Going to fill the form out now and get it sent. Got a visit from ds' special needs HV on sept 20th so I'll batter her for as much info as possible!!!
But please still tell me anything that would be useful as I can guarantee that I don't get told everything.

OP posts:
Davros · 10/08/2005 19:43

Apart from getting DS on the register, request an assessment from Soc Svs, or get HV to do it if she will. Otherwise, I know of a support group in Herts called PHEAT, mostly ABA but also biomedical side. Not sure if they have a website, can find out. Have you tried the NAS yet? They can be very good.
Hur hur, I know SO many dads of children with ASD who are Spurs fans (DH included), I tell myself its because we live in North London, but I'm not sure

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.