My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Shampoo

3 replies

Crumpetsforthequeen · 17/08/2021 11:10

Hi all I hope you can help me

My 2yo DS has developmental delay, we've been told probabal autism but he's too young to be seen for it. We have portage and s&l involved so far but the one thing no one is really helping me with is bathing/showering him.

He goes into sensory overload when he's near a bath or shower so it's been a real struggle, he hates water and it all descends into a meltdown every time we try no matter what we try. We've managed to find a way to very quickly wash him but his hair is a problem, he won't let anyone near his head.

He's a very active toddler, his go to thing is bouncing, he has a small trampoline which he's on a fair amount as it calms him but because he's so active he sweats profusely from his head.

So, and sorry its taken so long to get to the point, does anyone have any recommendations for waterless shampoo? Any brands I could try or should steer clear of?

Also if anyone has any tips for the whole bathing/showering thing that would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what I'm doing and it's all very overwhelming, thank you.

OP posts:
Sunshinejoll · 17/08/2021 14:55

Hello Crumpetsforthequeen - not sure I can offer much but my little one absolutely hated having his hair cut and this was from the very first cut. Obviously washing is much more frequent than cutting. I never thought it would get easier and one day it did. He is nearly 5 now and sits fabulously. I’m not sure there is anything different you could do other than what you are doing. Best of luck x

orinocosfavoritecake · 17/08/2021 19:51

I’ve heard good things about Dignity waterless shampoo.

TheVolturi · 20/08/2021 10:28

Hello op, we use this cap for asd ds, he can just about tolerate hair washes with this. Stops water going in eyes/face and ears. Really soft like a foam.
Hope the link works

www.amazon.co.uk/Clippasafe-CL201-Shampoo-Shield/dp/B000G1TDNI/ref=asc_df_B000G1TDNI/?linkCode=df0&hvadid=310754896709&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8440176185762344619&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1006458&hvtargid=pla-421416264629&psc=1&tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.