My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Pointing

3 replies

Olaf14 · 10/03/2021 21:27

Hi can you someone advise me, if my son points to request items and show interests does this mean he would not have autism?

Thanks in advance for any responses

OP posts:
BackforGood · 10/03/2021 22:30

Not necessarily.
There is not a single 'direct test' for autism. There isn't a blood test or a scan or any one specific symptom that will say a person has, or does not have autism.
There are lots of things that can be indicators, but there will always be people with autism who don't do things that are typically associated with autism, and also people who do not have autism, that do things, or do not do things that people do associate with autism.

Olaf14 · 11/03/2021 01:47

Thanks for your response. I have completed the m-chat questionnaire and my son scores 1-low risk. The one he has scored is following instructions, which he sometimes does just not consistently. My concern is over is receptive language. Does this sound like autism?

Thanks

OP posts:
BackforGood · 11/03/2021 20:47

I really couldn't and would have any idea, over the internet, with a child I've never met.

How old is he ?
Does he go to Nursery (or school?) What do they say ?

What are the things he does, or doesn't do, that have set you thinking along these lines ?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.