My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on special needs.

SN children

Iam now totally losing it....

8 replies

PeachyClairHasBadHair · 08/09/2006 14:07

Spoke t a Mum today, she has a dughter with AS at the school, got a tatement last week. Support starts next week.

the difference? She lives two miles away- over the county border.

Sam is getting so stressed before school every day that Stirling ahs yet another black eye, but sam isn't even on school action at the moment!!!!

I'm e ven wondering if the application for a statement was faked, as we have never heard ANYTHING from the LEA, just ahd vague messages from his psycho techer.

I mean, WTF????? AM I supposed to abandon Sam's life chances then? I can't even speak to the SENCO ? form tutror in private any more, the Head hovers close every time I drop him off IThough DH going to get her to book a meeting later).

I am spitting!

The Ed Psych won't let us ahve a copy of Sam's report, so we have no way of applying ourselves.

If I wasn't going back to Uni )and i'm only going ahead with that atm so I can pay the bills) I would pull him this minute. he stands F all chance.

So the plan is; I am going to make an appointment next term to talk to the lady who does the MA in Autism at the Uni, and I hope to do that as soon as I graduate. Then I am going to make it my business to replace all those on the LEA committee with people who ahve a bloody idea.

But right NOW I ahve no idea what to do for the best. I ahve a needy son, dx, begging letter from the paed to the LEA, and zilch else. If I want any reports, I have to pay £900 which is going to mean a LOT of hardhip. What happened to the free NHS, FGS?

OP posts:
mrs2shoes · 08/09/2006 14:16

it's a isn't postcode lottery.
sorry can't offer any advice just wanted you to know you had been read

AttilaTheMeerkat · 08/09/2006 14:40

Peachy

You don't need any formal evidence like the ed pysch report (don't forget that they're employed by the LEA so their hands are tied) to apply for a statement on Sam's behalf. All it initially needs is a letter to the LEA from yourselves requesting assessment (IPSEA have model letters that can be used).

Goodness alone knows what this school did - my guess for what its worth is that they did not bother.

PeachyClairHasBadHair · 08/09/2006 14:48

The school told us they ahd been refused, SNAP said we should appeal (have been unable to get through to IPSEA), and we are seeingt hem next week.

LEA have no record of a reqquest for a atatement, though they admit they may have lost it.

It looks like the school lied and I cannot believe it!

OP posts:
ScummyMummy · 08/09/2006 14:57

Peachy- really sorry things are so stressful but see Attila's post below. You can apply for Sam to be assessed or reassessed yourself. IPSEA model letters are fine to get the process started. See here.

PeachyClairHasBadHair · 08/09/2006 15:43

Just spoke to them.

She said erm, wel it was the Paed applied, not us.

So basically, the LEA had to respond to the letter from the Paed but had no info from the school as they had not been arsed to send any / actually apply.

very disheartened right now, not sure which direction to take. Speaking to a few special;ists next week, though am angry / sad/ confused all at the same time

OP posts:
dinosaur · 08/09/2006 15:46

This reply has been withdrawn

This has been withdrawn by MNHQ at the poster's request.

suedenley · 08/09/2006 16:48

Peachy
They must have lied even if the lea have lost the application for the statement there would be a record on there system of the reason for refusal of statement and the school would have been notified in writing too ,strange coincidence if they lost that too or are they all just incompetent,the lea would have written a letter to you too stating why your ds had been refused what action is to be taken and when you are able to reapply i know cos this happened to me i can reapply in oct after 6 months on action plus (which hasnt even started yet he hasnt even had an updated iep since jan 05 ....but hey its all ammunition )
So no wonder you are spitting
these schools are playing god with our kids futures
Channel that anger peachy and go get em!
GOOD LUCK

PeachyClairHasBadHair · 08/09/2006 17:08

Well I WILL channel it, thank you!

have got a meeting with a private consultant (£80 an hour- ouch) booked, he can do IQ tests and all the stuff the ed psych dcpuldnt be arsed to do

A meeting with SNAP Cymru

and meeting with the Head of the Autism MA at the Uni, who has offered advice / support, and I want to discuss the possibility of a place after my degree

buggers

i'm gonan get yooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.