My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

You need to have been registered for 7 days to post in the Sex forum. Please don’t send unwanted PMs to other users.

Sex

Spreading cold sores

21 replies

Choochoo22 · 06/02/2023 08:51

I currently have a few cold sore on my lips, hubby and I were at it last night and it came to my big O, he put his fingers in my mouth then put them inside me, he said he just completely forgot however throughout the whole session was fully aware because we didn’t kiss or do oral and I purposefully had a mouth cover on (think bdsm style), so he only forgot when it wasn’t his own sexual health that was compromised. I’m worried sick now, he was wearing latex gloves so obviously going to be a carrier, I assumed he’d swapped hands in the process (as I was blindfolded).

Has anyone else experienced similar and wasn’t left with herpes?

OP posts:
Judeisnotobscure · 06/02/2023 09:46

ive just googled, oral and genital sores are both the same virus, but type 1 & 2. Oral cold sore can be transmitted to the genitals but it seems to be less likely.
Fingers crossed for you!!
I’m sure he’s mortified, such a crappy end to what sounds like an amazing experience!!

Blagdoon · 06/02/2023 09:48

If it’s any consolation, you already have some immunity to herpes because you have it on your face. So hopefully you will be resistant to it spreading. Even if you do end up with genital sores, it’s likely to be fairly mild because of your immunity.

Choochoo22 · 06/02/2023 10:08

Thank you for the reassurance. I’ve been Googling like mad too, just heard too many horror stories after working in healthcare for too long to be calm about it.
Mortified, unfortunately not, his approach is; “it might not happen so until it does it’s fine!” Which is massively frustrating. I don’t know what to do in the meantime, I suppose there isn’t much I can do.

OP posts:
Judeisnotobscure · 06/02/2023 10:25

That is frustrating! I’m not sure, you know more about this than me? Would a course of antivirals work as a preventative? I’m sorry, clutching at straws here!!

Choochoo22 · 06/02/2023 10:46

I have no idea how to get antivirals unfortunately. I doubt the GP would prescribe on the off chance? Or is there a way of getting them any other way?

OP posts:
Judeisnotobscure · 06/02/2023 10:57

I’ve no idea how I just sent you the longest link in the world. Sorry!!

Choochoo22 · 06/02/2023 11:01

Thats great. Thank you so much!

OP posts:
Judeisnotobscure · 06/02/2023 11:02

I’ve got everything crossed for you!!!

TerfTerf · 06/02/2023 12:46

No advice about whether it can spread to genitals, but wanted to recommend Compeed Cold Sore Patches. They cover the sore, stops them crusting and spreading, means you can kiss and oral and you're both safe. Life-changing if you're plagued by cold sores.

Choochoo22 · 06/02/2023 13:43

Thank you I do wear compeed patches in everyday when I have a cold sore (which is rare) but I was under a latex hood and they come off when moist which is disappointing.. they really need to make hood safe patches 😅

OP posts:
JL642 · 06/02/2023 13:48

I think you will be ok. I suffer from cold sores and have worried before about the same thing but it’s always been fine.

Mammyloveswine · 06/02/2023 13:51

God sorry I'm just reading this thinking "latex hood?! Blindfold? Mouth covering?! Latex gloves?" And realising I'm very boring! Grin

Hopefully you'll get sorted but definitely tell your husband he was out of order putting your health at risk like that.

Cavylady · 06/02/2023 14:11

Hi, it's very unlikely you'll catch herpes from this type of exposure as you've already got antibodies if you experience cold sores- it's very uncommon for people to become infected in more than one location with the same strain of HSV. You've probably got type 1 if it's cold sores, which prefers infecting the face to down "there" anyway.

People who catch genital herpes from exposure to cold sores are usually those who have no antibodies, and have had no previous exposure to the virus. It's less easily transmitted this way, again because type one prefers the face, type 2 prefers the genitals. This is what happened to me, and I can't stress enough how not a big deal it is. It doesn't bother my life in the slightest and has never bothered new partners. Type 1 genital herpes is usually very mild even if you were to become infected, which again is very very unlikely given you're already infected (cold sores).

If you're still worried it might be worth contacting someone from the herpes viruses association herpes.org.uk/ for advice/support, to put your mind at rest ☺️.

PinotPony · 06/02/2023 17:21

I think it's highly unlikely you'd get genital herpes in this scenario. But if you're worried get some Aciclovir from an online pharmacy.

Choochoo22 · 07/02/2023 11:49

Thank you everyone. Anti viral meds have been delivered today so I’ll be on them for the next 5 days and hoping I’ll be ok. Clearer boundaries and lots educating DH on the matter 😉

OP posts:
Judeisnotobscure · 07/02/2023 11:55

I’m glad to hear that!

Wishfulthankin · 07/02/2023 12:04

TerfTerf · 06/02/2023 12:46

No advice about whether it can spread to genitals, but wanted to recommend Compeed Cold Sore Patches. They cover the sore, stops them crusting and spreading, means you can kiss and oral and you're both safe. Life-changing if you're plagued by cold sores.

OP it's unlikely they will transfer as you already have the infection. Don't stress.

I've quoted this as this is incorrect. The compeed patch doesn't not stop spread. The virus can be carried in saliva, so that's really not worth the risk!

StrapOnYourHeroHair · 07/02/2023 12:10

Antivirals wouldn’t prevent herpes on your genitals after exposure, if that’s what you’re expecting. They are used to prevent outbreaks when you know you already have the virus or to speed up healing in an outbreak.

fedup0987 · 10/02/2023 15:52

I have genital herpes. Hsv2 (but one can become 2 eventually). I've done a lot of reading and it's very unlikely he will have spread it as it has to be contact. Not contact/contact (mouth/finger) to contact/contact (finger/vagina). It would be highly possibly if contact/contact was mouth/penis. Hope this makes sense. It's not an exact science but youll probably be fine. I also doubt they'd give you meds without an active outbreak

Pennythoughts28 · 28/09/2023 22:57

Oral Herpes can also pass through the saliva itself especially when you have a outbreak so altho covering the sore with a patch can help I woudlnt recommend that as it's still high risk

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.