My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

You need to have been registered for 7 days to post in the Sex forum. Please don’t send unwanted PMs to other users.

Sex

Chlamydia question

7 replies

Baloo65 · 10/03/2021 19:49

I tested positive for chlamydia and have been treated. I think I caught it fairly early as I had a negative screen a few months earlier. however after the treatment I have had terrible urinary symptoms - throbbing and pain and a constant awareness of my urethra. Plus frequency and urgency. Does anyone else have experience with this and know if it can be part of the chlamydia infection and can go on weeks after treatment..... I've had various antibiotics etc. Starting to worry this isn't going to ever go away. Sad

OP posts:
xpc316e · 11/03/2021 11:27

Chlamydia is usually cleared up with a short course of antibiotics, so to still have symptoms after your treatment indicates that you MUST seek further help. Please go to a sexual health clinic as soon as you can. Don't go to your GP; see the experts.

Best wishes.

Baloo65 · 11/03/2021 12:18

Oh I have thank you. I have had numerous swabs, cultures, antibiotics. So far we aren't getting very far. I was just curious as to anecdotally anyone else had experienced prolonged urinary issues after an infection had been found and treated.

OP posts:
xpc316e · 11/03/2021 16:25

I am so glad that you have sought more help.

For a couple of years I was a sexual health worker with the Terrence Higgins Trust and Chlamydia screening was the main part of the work. In the course of the job I learned a lot about the infection, but I never came across symptoms such as the ones you are experiencing.

That's of no assistance whatsoever - sorry. I have had a brief search for Chlamydia support groups, and not a lot comes up, but perhaps it is an avenue to explore. If there is nothing on Facebook, etc., perhaps you could look at creating a page yourself?

Daftasabroom · 14/03/2021 16:06

I got diagnosed with NSU probably Chlamydia 30 odd years ago, I still suffer from the internal scarring it caused. I'm a bloke so maybe different but maybe not. It doesn't effect me on a daily basis, I've had kids since. Just a bit of pain.

Baloo65 · 14/03/2021 16:23

@Daftasabroom thanks for your reply. Yeah I'm thinking it must be urethritis probably caused by the chlamydia but I don't know for sure. Symptoms have vastly improved the past few days so that's something. It's has been very uncomfortable though... good to hear you are doing ok and it hasn't impacted you too much long term.

OP posts:
Tinypoppytop · 17/03/2021 22:42

My dh gave my chlamydia when we first got together - it left me with YEARS of problems and I picked it up only about two or three weeks after being infected.
It caused UTIs, thrush, constant itching and pain. It took a really long time to go away. I constantly had cystitis and took round of antibiotics after round of antibiotics.
I don’t know why this happened. For some reason it left me with longer term problems even after only having it for a short while. Sorry if that’s not very reassuring. They did go eventually but I’m still prone to UTIs, having never had them previously.

Baloo65 · 19/03/2021 07:36

@Tinypoppytop thank you for your post. I'm so sorry to hear you suffered so much and for so long. 😢 luckily things seem to have got better since I posted so I'm hopeful that I'm improving. It was a horrible few weeks with those awful urinary symptoms though. Scared me tbh.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.