My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Secondary education

Offers day: 1st March 2024

245 replies

Jbrown76 · 21/01/2024 16:01

Anyone nervous, slightly apprehensive?

OP posts:
12345change · 21/01/2024 17:55

No not really, just fed up of waiting...feels like forever.

Teene · 21/01/2024 17:55

Sure am. Its the waiting. I just want to know already!

Swearwolf · 21/01/2024 17:57

We've only got one secondary school in our town so I'm not worried as everyone always gets in! But I am still feeling impatient.

BananaDaiquiri · 22/01/2024 14:07

We received an email from first choice school back in November/December stating what category she had been placed in for admissions. So following that very relaxed as she should be fine, would just like to see it in black and white on the website and click accept! Good luck OP.

Moominmam · 22/01/2024 19:13

Yes, feeling very nervous, and really hoping we put the right schools in the right order! We have put very different schools on the list, with very different positives. If we get the first choice one (still not sure if it is the actual favourite or right for my child, but had to prioritize otherwise wouldn’t get in) it might even change where we end up living, and changing our lifestyle significantly, so even more stress! I just want it over with so we can get on with planning and getting used to the idea of whichever one we end up with.
Good luck to all with any worries!

Nonameoclue · 22/01/2024 19:18

Moominmam · 22/01/2024 19:13

Yes, feeling very nervous, and really hoping we put the right schools in the right order! We have put very different schools on the list, with very different positives. If we get the first choice one (still not sure if it is the actual favourite or right for my child, but had to prioritize otherwise wouldn’t get in) it might even change where we end up living, and changing our lifestyle significantly, so even more stress! I just want it over with so we can get on with planning and getting used to the idea of whichever one we end up with.
Good luck to all with any worries!

It makes no difference where you put it on the list. You should always put your first preference first, the schools don't know where you have put them. You will be allocated the highest preference that you are eligible for.
I know your preferences went in months ago, but just putting this here for future readers

Moominmam · 22/01/2024 21:24

In our case it did make a difference because of aptitude rankings which were allocated at 2 of the schools over distance. Even so, for future readers, you should always put your 1st preference first if you know which you prefer (I still don’t!!)

PuttingDownRoots · 22/01/2024 21:33

Although I'm 99% sure... there is always that little niggle she won't get in.

Despite being an in catchment, feeder school sibling who lives 200m away from the front gate! (Basically there can of be a handful of children higher up the list)

questionsconfusion · 23/01/2024 09:22

Yes! Feels like longest wait ever!

questionsconfusion · 23/01/2024 09:26

My child's having a wobbly about grammar because of the travelling (even though they passed it's not a guaranteed place until March) They want to go to the local horrible school. It's got the worst Ofsted rating. I don't want to share all the negatives until I know where they have been placed Confused Totally understand them wanting you to be with friends and being nervous about new school where few people they know will be going. I wish we could find out sooner to prepare them.

Those that have been through the grammar experience with older siblings did you take them for further open days? I was thinking of doing this if he gets a confirmed place.

Gizlotsmum · 23/01/2024 09:31

our grammar did a welcome evening and day for pupils who had got a place. Both kids went with one other person from primary school, eldest about to take GCSEs has a strong group of friends not including primary school one, youngest started Sept and has minimal interaction with child from primary but has found a group of friends

MushPeas · 23/01/2024 09:55

@questionsconfusion hiya, if ours gets into their school we'll go to the welcome sessions and also any events they have - such as school summer fair - to help them get used to the school.

questionsconfusion · 23/01/2024 14:54

Thank you. I'll look into that if he gets a confirmed place and hopefully he will remember what he loved about it when he went to the open day before Smile It's such a shame as he had some friends outside of school apply. They didn't pass. I know he will make new friends easily but it's hard for him to process that at the moment.

Flametornado · 26/01/2024 01:17

Me! Put the catchment school third as I hated it and my son wasn't keen either. Only child so in the last group to be considered on oversubscription criteria, so it's unlikely he will get 1st or 2nd but you never know. They are both closer than the catchment school... First choice is five min walk away but my council has defined catchment zones. Feel like I've been waiting forever x

BlueskyBluesea · 26/01/2024 07:47

I'm not too worried about getting in to first choice, it's more that I hope it's the right fit for d.c. It's a great school but d.c won't know anyone and although that is often really a good thing in the end, the first few months can be tough. Also the rest of year 6 can be a bit tricky is some ways because I've found children clump themselves together a bit more once they've found out about high schools 🫣. Best wishes to all who are waiting

seascape124 · 14/02/2024 08:15

Will people be doing open days again once they get places or just wait for transition days.

12345change · 14/02/2024 09:50

@seascape124 we will just wait for transition day. Don’t see the point of doing open days again.

PuttingDownRoots · 14/02/2024 09:53

Theres no more open days around here until after they will start school in September.

Weve already got Transistion dates for July. However all the school in the district use the same ones.

Goldwakeme · 14/02/2024 20:33

I'm starting to get nervous. My DD says everyone with older siblings already in the desirable school is boasting that they'll definitely get in. We're not in the catchment so I'm expecting to appeal.

Flametornado · 15/02/2024 18:54

I'm desperate for my son to get the out of catchment five minutes walk away school but I don't really have any grounds to appeal I don't think so it will be waiting list stress if he doesn't get in X my council updates the portal at midnight so this time in two weeks I will be staying up with a bottle of wine! x

Andintotheseawego · 15/02/2024 19:01

Yes. Very. Last year our local high school reduced it's numbers (PAN) and for the first time ever (over 50 years) children on our road didn't get in!! It's just over a mile from our house so my child can walk it, right next to her primary school she attends now. The other option is two bus rides away. Only one child from her class has applied to the other school, all her friends will be going to the local one.

Sunflowers189 · 16/02/2024 08:33

I am also becoming a bit nervous. Although my other DD ended up in a less desirable local comp and is doing very well. My other dd is hoping for a lottery placement based school that she will need to get a train for.
I just hate the waiting! Want to get it out the way now.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

seascape124 · 16/02/2024 11:32

My DS is on the list for a grammar place but doesn't want to go now and wants to go to the local (terrible) school with all his friends. I'm hoping if he gets the grammar place he will try but he is getting a lot of pressure from school friends. Confused

Oreosareawful · 16/02/2024 14:12

We have an unusual situation in that we have an EHCP in progress. We have named the school we have put down as our first choice. I'm just hoping that we get that choice and don't need to rely on the EHCP getting him in.

seascape124 · 18/02/2024 20:29

Oreosareawful · 16/02/2024 14:12

We have an unusual situation in that we have an EHCP in progress. We have named the school we have put down as our first choice. I'm just hoping that we get that choice and don't need to rely on the EHCP getting him in.

I hope you get your first choice 🤞

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.