Meet the Other Phone. A phone that grows with your child.

Meet the Other Phone.
A phone that grows with your child.

Buy now

Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

A thread for anyone waiting for St paul's, City, NLC, Godolphin 11+ results 2017

60 replies

cdstandingnow · 02/02/2017 08:35

Lots of helpful 11+ threads out there but here is a "sub thread" for anyone waiting for results from any of these 4 horribly competitive london day girls schools.

How did your girls find the written assessments, interviews? Have you applied to more than one of these schools? Any preferences if you have a choice? Hopefully this thread will help other parents in the same boat in subsequent years.

Do join in, bite nails together, share any insider info that you might have and hopefully celebrate all the outcomes on Friday, 10th!!!

OP posts:
LadyOhDearOhDear · 23/02/2017 12:49

At the end of the day these schools are all businesses, and they are looking at the girls as numbers, as bums on seats. They set a benchmark to pass in the exam. How well do they know these girls and how well do the prospective families know the school? Not well - that's why they offer an offer holders day - for families to have another look and to try and differentiate themselves from the other schools in the marketplace.

City have clearly messed up the process this year and it will affect their reputation, and it will push the top girls, who have options at the likes of SPGS, NLC, Latymer, G&L towards those schools. It's the downside of not having the space to take into account that odd year when a bulge class is needed because the offer: acceptance ratio is abnormal, which other schools with space can handle occasionally.

Agree with cdstandingnow that to not even wait for the offer holders day and the state school allocations is very poor. I bet the admissions team have had a bollocking for messing this up so badly, although if it forces people pay a deposit and then change their mind, it could be a nice little earner for them!

nightswimming1 · 23/02/2017 13:51

It sounds pretty poorly handled. It isn't just CLSG that has a space issue - all of the top schools (girls and boys and other ages too) are full to the gills and have to judge carefully their place in the perceived pecking order compared to the number of offers/waitlist places they make. To over offer and then withdraw before offer holders' day smacks of shoddy planning.

psmith12 · 23/02/2017 13:57

While it's true that they mentioned the possibility of withdrawing offers in the offer email that was the first time it had been mentioned. I don't recall at the open day being told that City only make conditional offers (which is what they in effect are). Had they done so it would have deterred many parents. It is simply ludicrous to withdraw offers before the offer holders open morning. It has now become a redundant event.

What has gone wrong is that they have made far too many offers instead of operating a waiting list. SPGS, G&L and Latymer are all heavily oversubscribed but they seem to manage it. This will damage City's reputation.

cdstandingnow · 24/02/2017 19:44

Psmith12 I agree and as I've said before I believe City will end up with a weaker cohort this year than they would have done if they gave parents a chance to weigh up all options. The two girls I know who accepted quickly had City as their best offer ; the ones who are still pondering also have NLC, St. Paul's, Godolphin, scholarships. Perhaps City's open days and literature should point out offers are conditional upon parents accepting quickly! Is anyone bothering to attend the Open Day on Tuesday? I might show up.

On another subject Godolphin sent chaser emails today to offer holders who haven't yet decided. They have a much more sensible approach. They don't over offer to a silly level and operate a proper waiting list.

OP posts:
schnooky · 01/03/2017 11:56

CDST Have you made your decision yet?

cdstandingnow · 06/03/2017 15:11

Hi Schooky, we decided not to pursue City after they withdrew their offer! I understand no one was reinstated. We've accepted another top day school instead. Hope everyone's happy with their final selection. Deadline was today for all schools I believe.

As a matter of interest did anyone on the waiting list at Godolphin and NLC get offered? I heard the waiting lists didn't move this year.

OP posts:
efrieze78 · 06/03/2017 15:25

Channing also withdrew their offers after they were full. Someone i know was told that they were moved from offer list to waiting list last week but then there was movement and she was then offered a place! All very odd.

NL2016 · 06/03/2017 15:51

Cdstandingnow: we acted in the same way, i understand that Putney list didn't move at all. May be Godolphin's neither as when delivering the docs originals today I saw about at least 20 similar envelopes at security who was registering those, and that was around 10 am so way before deadline plus I presume some families accepted earlier in the process.

cdstandingnow · 08/03/2017 19:32

Interesting Channing withdrawing offers! I hope this doesn't set a precedent for other schools to follow in future years.

OP posts:
nylon14 · 08/03/2017 19:53

I think it's been as weird year. I read on another board that NLCS was definitely ringing girls off the waiting list and some that weren't even on the list. They said they had made a mistake and hadn't put enough girls on the list this year.

New posts on this thread. Refresh page