My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Open plan layout (kitchen\dining\living)

12 replies

AE9193 · 23/02/2024 23:08

Hi, any ideas for this layout? I’m thinking of opening up the kitchen and adding an island. Do you think there’ll be enough space or might it feel too cramped?

OP posts:
Mrsphilmiller · 24/02/2024 06:35

That looks exactly like my open plan layout. We added an island and moved the dining table and use it as a desk now.

SpringOfContentment · 24/02/2024 07:19

A couple of thoughts:
Where is the washing machine? Will that be in the kitchen, so easily heard from the rest of the living space?
Will you be able to keep that big gap into the dining room, which presumably allows light into the hallway? Or will there need to be a door into the kitchen, so the gap needs bricking up? For fire reasons.
Will you have enough cupboard and worksurface space for you remove a wall and some cupboards to make the entrance into the dining room?

Personally, I think you need one wall between kitchens dining rooms and living rooms. Whether that is to make a kitchen-diner or a dining-living room I'm less bothered, but no separate living space doesn't work for me

AE9193 · 24/02/2024 08:45

SpringOfContentment: there is a separate laundry space so the washing machine will not be in the kitchen.

OP posts:
AE9193 · 24/02/2024 08:54

Mrsphilmiller - Did you move the dining to make room for the island or just for more space? If possible, could you share a picture?

OP posts:
Mrsphilmiller · 24/02/2024 10:47

Terrible sorry about the mess - I have 4 kids 6 and under
but this is what it looks like now until we get a new kitchen

Geneticsbunny · 25/02/2024 10:48

What's to the right hand side of the kitchen? Is it another open plan space?

minipie · 25/02/2024 18:35

Looks good but if you keep this layout and remove the wall you’d end up with a very skinny island (one cabinet deep).

If you want a wider island (two cabinets deep or even just 90cm) you’d need to shrink the living area a bit so the dining table can move down and make space for a wider island. So for example just one armchair each side & sofa bit closer to the tv.

AE9193 · 25/02/2024 22:17

@Geneticsbunny no just a hallway that connects to the bedrooms

OP posts:
AE9193 · 25/02/2024 22:26

@Mrsphilmiller no worries about the mess! It’s understandable. Thanks for sharing the picture

OP posts:
justasking111 · 25/02/2024 22:37

One thing that you might have forgotten is where the windows will be will you have too many doors? You might to make them bigger, maybe put in patio type doors.

There's an Instagram lady who's just done what you're planning her DH is an architect so was aware of natural light sources, doors etc. I've done a screenshot for you.

parietal · 26/02/2024 21:34

I think it will be too cramped for an island.

how about opening up a large hatch / window at counter-height in the wall between kitchen and dining area? that would let you see through / chat / pass plates but you could also close it off if needed.

parietal · 26/02/2024 21:36

also, if the door at the top leads to bedrooms, then building regs might not let you have the kitchen as an open-plan space between the bedrooms and the front door.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.