Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Chelmsford or St Albans

yellowgingham · 03/08/2022 18:31

If you could live in (or near) either Chelmsford or St Albans, which one would you choose?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MyCatIsNotFittingMyKitchen · 03/08/2022 23:27

Probably St Albans as it’s so quick into London.

Please
or

calmlakes · 03/08/2022 23:30

St Albans by a long way, lived there for a year and it was lovely.

Please
or

cheercaptain · 03/08/2022 23:34

St Albans

Please
or

pimlicoanna · 03/08/2022 23:37

St albans

Please
or

TrippinEdBalls · 03/08/2022 23:39

I've never been to St Albans but I didn't much like living in Chelmsford... It's just a really bland place.

Please
or

Ineededtonamechange · 03/08/2022 23:51

I've lived in both...

My comments are - Chelmsford has a much more useful town centre. Much of St Albans shopping is small boutiques etc. Bigger stores/more variety you have to go out of town shopping centres.

Yes - the transport links are great from St Albans, but you do have to factor in where in St Albans you can live and transport to the station etc. St Albans is expensive, especially if you are buying. Think about this house, and then the next house, price wise. You will get more for your money in Chelmsford without a shadow of a doubt. Especially if you are going to live a little way from the station.

Having said that - St Albans has some great parks and play facilities, some great restaurants, bars and cafes, and a lovely vibe. Where as the centre of Chelmsford is more generic town centre.

St Albans does have great schools - as does chelmsford (but maybe with more variability)

Anyway - just my thoughts!

Please
or

TheFormidableMrsC · 03/08/2022 23:53

I don't know much about Chelmsford but I have family in St Albans and it's around 25 mins from where I live in North Herts. I'd live there if I could afford to. It's a lovely town.

Please
or

yellowgingham · 04/08/2022 08:34

Thank you for all the comments.

DH has a strong preference for living in a village (and I’d be open to that too) so it may be more a case of living nearby - perhaps Ingatestone near Chelmsford or Wheathampstead near St Albans. Both similar ish prices although Ingatestone has the advantage of a station.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ireolu · 05/08/2022 19:34

St Albans for the transport links and proximity to London. I went to school in Chelmsford not much going on there.

Please
or

Towcester · 05/08/2022 22:02

St Albans is so nice. Lived there a long time ago. Harpenden also really nice. Both very expensive.

Been to Chelmsford but seemed fairly unremarkable.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.