Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Overcrowding extra room issue

lmkh · 14/05/2022 22:18

Hi, my partner and I have been offered a house but the housing association have told us that they need to carry out a house check to verify overcrowding. He is currently in his mums 2 bedroom, he is sleeping in living room, one bedroom used by his mum and the other room shared by his 22 and 14 year old sisters but there has been a partition wall added into already very small room. Would this affect our claim for overcrowding? World housing class the partition the room with partition as 2 separate bedrooms??

OP's posts:
Please
or

swapcicles · 14/05/2022 22:28

I'm sure there will be a set minimum size and specifications for bedrooms.
So a room that is simply divided by furniture would be classed as one but a professional build with minimum sizes met on both sides and separate doors may be classed as two rooms.

Please
or

AntsAntsAntsAnts · 14/05/2022 22:31

I doubt it could be classed as separate rooms unless some provision was made to give each room its own doorway. If you have to walk through one partition to get to the other then it’s not a separate room.

Please
or

lmkh · 14/05/2022 22:38

Yeah, the room does have to be walked through to get into the other side and there’s a gap at one side where they can see each other when in bed.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hallyup89 · 15/05/2022 14:56

It won't be classed as an extra bedroom if it's just partitioned. It shouldn't matter anyway because they're overcrowded even without him there. Anyone over 16 should be entitled to their own bedroom.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.