Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can anyone help with windows (pics)

whattodoaboutthismould · 14/05/2022 06:46

Is this black mould? It's only on the windows and the ledges not walls or anything. We get awful condensation especially in the winter. I could probably open the windows more but this house is bloody freezing.
What can we do about it?
It's always comes back.
Is it possible to replace seals on windows?

I'm pregnant and don't want a baby in the room while it's like this ! It's sending my anxiety off !
Also I'm aware I shouldn't be the one scrubbing it really either.

The first pic is our room and the second ny sons

Can anyone help with windows (pics) Can anyone help with windows (pics) Can anyone help with windows (pics)
OP's posts:
Please
or

ItsSnowJokes · 14/05/2022 06:56

Yes it's mold. Just clean it off. You need to open the windows for at least 20 minutes a day, especially if you have a lot of condensation. That water has to be extracted somehow! What is causing the condensation? Washing drying in doors? You need to eliminate the cause at the same time.

Clean with a mold remover (HG spray is very good) and keep opening the windows.

Please
or

Oblongogo · 14/05/2022 07:02

do you have trickle vents at the top of the window? Make sure they’re open, if not avoid drying clothes in the room / on radiators and get your windows open for 20mins. Also if it isn’t already make sure your blind cord is fastened out of reach of children, childproofing is a few months off but an easy thing to forget to do when baby is here!

Please
or

whattodoaboutthismould · 14/05/2022 07:05

The only thing I can think thats causing it is the shower, as we just leave the door open and obviously it gets humid, but funnily enough the bathroom doesn't have this ?! The windows on the front of the house get most of the sun all day and they seem fine, but the ones at the back don't get any and that probably doesn't help does it.

No we don't have any vents but I could put them on air lock?

Yeah will definitely the tie the cord up, to be honest the windows are really high so they won't be reached even by an older child but still good practice to do it

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hellopello · 14/05/2022 08:18

Could water from rain possibly be seeping through and down the ledge from a small gap In the outside wall or something ?

Please
or

Lemonleaflicker · 14/05/2022 08:24

HG mould remover is incredible but get your partner/husband to use it as it is very strong smelling and as a pregnant woman I just wouldn't advise you using it.

Re condensation, if the house is relatively cold and you feel unable to fling open the windows or lock them on vent where they open just a little you might want to think about getting a dehumidifier. This chap on YouTube explains it better than I ever could

Please
or

starpatch · 15/05/2022 14:46

Yes you can get the sealant round the edge of the windows removed and replaced, its not a difficult job a handyman could do it if you aren't able to do it yourselves.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.