Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Moving to Holton Heath in Dorset

Jabi43 · 06/05/2022 21:48

Hello, can anybody help me out with opinions on what this area is like to live in? I’ve seen a house I’d like to put an offer in but unsure whether when my kids reach teenagers they will be bored! I’ve checked out the bus routes and they look good - 20 minutes to Poole and Swanage. I was looking at Broadstone as first choice but can’t find a house. We are relocating and don’t know anyone in the area, so am hoping it is a friendly place and has good schools?

OP's posts:
Please
or

wonkygorgeous · 06/05/2022 22:03

Holton Heath has its own train station.
Direct line to London.

Good travel links. Better than Broadstone.

It's two stops on the train to Poole.

Everything your older children will do will likely involve a train journey.

Parts of Holton Heath are beautiful. I particularly like the forest.

It has a big industrial estate but equally lots of farm land.

Lytchett Minster School is the local school and is very good.

It's not a place I'd imagine living in, but it's nice enough.

Please
or

Daisydoesnt · 07/05/2022 08:51

I was born and brought up near there and my parents live not far away. It's not really a village if you know what I mean, it's more of a houses-along-a road kind of place. It's dominated by the holiday park and unfortunately has a really busy road right through the middle of it, the A351. I wouldn't want my children anywhere near that road (especially if your house is the north side, the other side from the station). So I'm not sure about sending them off on the bus or train. It's also a bit of a funny lane down to the station, I'd not walk it on my own in the evening!

The other thing to factor is that the A351 gets MEGA busy in the summer with holiday traffic going down to the coast at Studland and Swanage. Think tailbacks from the Corfe Castle Studland turning to at least the Bakers Arms roundabout.

Please
or

Jabi43 · 13/05/2022 22:05

Thanks, this has been useful:) think it might be too remote for me, need more amenities around and places to walk too.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SpikeyHatePotato · 13/05/2022 22:08

Have you looked in Upton or Creekmoor?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.