Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

SE London Carpenter Reco for Living Room/Bedroom Alcove (or DIY?)

canadianinlondon · 03/12/2020 11:15

Hi everyone, does anyone have recommendations for a carpenter/joinery in SE London (near Penge/Beckenham/Crystal Palace/Anerley)?

Also, any ideas on costs for:

1. Living Room Console with cupboards on bottom and shelves on top (building into the two alcoves where the fireplace is in between)?
  2. Bedroom wardrobes (building into the two alcoves) with clothes rack on top and drawers on the bottom?

And has it been worth it to get a carpenter/joiner vs. trying to DIY for those who have gone thru this? I'm considering IKEA PAX for the bedroom wardrobes as I've gotten one quote locally and it's 6K£.. (I don't know how we would be able to fit it as nicely into the alcoves though with IKEA).

Feedback and thoughts much appreciated! Have always benefited from the wealth of wisdom here.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Mistymonday · 03/12/2020 15:01

Friend of a friend, am planning to get him to do my living room shelves at some point.

m.facebook.com/AlanAshleyShelvesAndCupboards/

Please
or

bravotango · 03/12/2020 15:47

If you google IKEA Pax alcove hack you can effectively box them in so they look built in. We've done this (DIY) and a friend who is a joiner has also done it. Built in shelves/cupboards in living room alcoves are phenomenally expensive (round here around £3k) - if you can afford it, definitely go for it but if you are handy you can do another IKEA cupboard hack and DIY it.

Please
or

Smallbus1 · 03/12/2020 15:53

We have just had this done - only one cupboard in living room but shelves on both sides (£1100); bedroom wardrobes on either side of fireplace - 2 rails in each and box shelves from floor to ceiling (£1800). If we were doing it again I would look at the ikea hack. I can send you the names of the two companies we have used in this house and a previous one (both in the areas you mention).

Please
or

Leeito · 23/04/2021 11:58

HIm I'm after the same thing (alcoves) in the same area (Beckenham). Could you send me the names too please?

Please
or

GoumGoum · 23/09/2022 14:27

canadianinlondon · 03/12/2020 11:15

Hi everyone, does anyone have recommendations for a carpenter/joinery in SE London (near Penge/Beckenham/Crystal Palace/Anerley)?

Also, any ideas on costs for:

1. Living Room Console with cupboards on bottom and shelves on top (building into the two alcoves where the fireplace is in between)?
  2. Bedroom wardrobes (building into the two alcoves) with clothes rack on top and drawers on the bottom?

And has it been worth it to get a carpenter/joiner vs. trying to DIY for those who have gone thru this? I'm considering IKEA PAX for the bedroom wardrobes as I've gotten one quote locally and it's 6K£.. (I don't know how we would be able to fit it as nicely into the alcoves though with IKEA).

Feedback and thoughts much appreciated! Have always benefited from the wealth of wisdom here.

Hello all! We're looking for a carpenter to redo the floors of 2 bedrooms in our flat in Beckenham. We have just had them fitted however they are really creaky and we think our builders didn't use the right overlay materials. It is engineered wooden floor. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?