Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Keep it simple for me...How to watch "normal" tv on my tv without wires connections

LondonBuyer · 18/11/2020 16:26

Hi everyone

I'm slightly embarrassed to ask but my current TV is from 2011...

I am now going to purchase a new up to date "smart" TV and hang this on the chimney breast. There is a power plug in place behind the TV but I have not accounted for any other connections...

I know Amazon and Netflix will be fine...but to watch normal TV, freeview style, can I do this via an ap? Or will I still need a cable connection to my ariel? I'm worried I've messed this up and there should be more cables being put where the tv will be :-/

OP's posts:
Please
or

MarieG10 · 18/11/2020 17:25

Totally depends on your set up

Ideally in case any services faiL, a standard arial and cable to the TV.
Sky TV I believe will work off wifi but would be better to have an IP6 cable run to the router. Virgin will only work off a cable wired to a box that can be placed behind the TV if desired

Please
or

Blue5238 · 18/11/2020 17:45

We have no aerial. BBC via iplayer app, itv via their app etc.
It is fine. But we don't watch much TV!

Please
or

PamDemic · 18/11/2020 18:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

AmandaHugenkiss · 18/11/2020 18:02

Another one with no aerial, we use the apps for iplayer Netflix etc and can cast anything from the iPad. But again, not massive TV watchers.

Please
or

PigletJohn · 18/11/2020 18:26

An aerial will give you Freeview with a lot of channels to start with.

If you have broadband into your home I expect you can register to the wifi or plug in a wire connection. The wire is faster and more reliable.

Please
or

Smallgoon · 18/11/2020 18:33

I have one of those LG OLED smart TVs. Like you I just wanted 'normal' tv but in order to access the freeview channels (even though the apps are all built in), I needed to purchase one of those coax aerial cables. I got mine from Toolstation, I think this is the one I purchased www.toolstation.com/proception-digital-fly-lead/p76476

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.