Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Tell me about your knobs!

Misty9 · 29/10/2020 13:50

With so many decisions to make in a renovation, I've come unstuck with doorknobs. My internal doors have been dipped and stripped but I'm not sure yet whether I'll paint them or stain them. I think I prefer knobs to handles, but can't decide on oval vs round, or chrome vs brass colour?! It's a 1950s ex LA house.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Misty9 · 29/10/2020 13:52

And sprung or unsprung?! I'm thinking oval might be easier for the dc to operate..?

OP's posts:
Please
or

toria658 · 29/10/2020 14:02

Also consider if you ever get or have pets, some handles allow them to open doors....

Please
or

Misty9 · 29/10/2020 14:15

@toria658

Also consider if you ever get or have pets, some handles allow them to open doors....

πŸ˜‚ Don't add more factors for me to consider!

What sort of knobs do people have on what kind of doors?
OP's posts:
Please
or

JoJoSM2 · 29/10/2020 22:08

What style are you going for otherwise? Brass is more traditional and chrome more modern, for example. Oval knobs sound v traditional to me.

Please
or

JoJoSM2 · 29/10/2020 22:09

Sorry, chrome is more modern than brass but door knobs and not handles will look traditional either way.

Please
or

isseywith4vampirecats · 29/10/2020 22:28

our house is `940s and we have gone for oak doors oiled downstairs with art deco look Fan shape with handles antique brass effect they look fab

Please
or

isseywith4vampirecats · 29/10/2020 22:28

thats 1940s

Please
or

minipie · 30/10/2020 00:16

Brushed rather than shiny unless you want fingerprints everywhere.
I like brushed nickel personally.
We have round knobs on plain roses, but it’s a victorian house... I’m not sure what is 50s appropriate? Google suggests a rectangular back plate with lever or round knob.

Please
or

Misty9 · 31/10/2020 00:01

Thanks all. My partner got fed up with me talking about door knobs so we chose some tonight πŸ˜‚ and I've gone for antique brass round knobs with roses. Hopefully they'll look good.

@isseywith4vampirecats your door furniture sounds fab!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.